Hard water build ip

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
Hey guys, I'm tearing a tank down because of moving and thought this is perfect time to give it a good cleaning and reseal it (turtle that lived in it past away on Tuesday).

The filter I was using developed a good amount of hard water build up on the plastic outtake, also there is the typical water build up of the hard water on the top of tank that you can see on glass.

What is best method to remove this?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
If you can't scrape it off, maybe some vinegar or CLR cleaner, then a good rinsing.

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
Ok cool I will give all that a shot!

Would you guys recommend me throwing out everything in the filter (pads/rings/eheim balls) since the turtle died and I don't know how?

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
I wouldn't replace the hard media from the filter, just rinse the gross debris off and soak it in a bleach/water mixture for a couple days, rinse with fresh water and soak in Prime/water mixture until bleach odor is gone.

You can also sanitize the filter the same way hooked up to a pail of bleach/water mixture and run for 24 hours, rinse well and repeat with a Prime/water mixture.

I've also used Acid Magic to remove extremely crusty white deposits on aquarium equipment with excellent results when vinegar didn't work. Just follow the instructions on the bottle, remember to use gloves and neutralize the solution with baking soda before disposing of it. It worked great on plastic trim, crusty filter parts and glass lids.

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
For the part you said of using prime and water mixture after cleaning to get that bleach scent out, I'll be moving to a house that's off of a well. Can I just use straight water till scent goes away or does the prime help get that bleach out?

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Prime will neutralize the bleach or you can use a similar product that neutralizes chlorine.

Also, if you use bleach, choose a regular plain bleach with no additives, many of the new products are concentrated or have fragrances.

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
Cool thank you guys!

Last question, figured ask here instead of make new post. My eheim 2026 which is the filter from that tank, I noticed where you can lift it, hard water build up there. I tore it all apart and water is getting inside the lid. What can be causeing this? I see no cracks in the lid.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
It is probably either the primer pump o-ring or the flow sight glass o-rings or part itself if you are seeing water in the pump head itself.

In my experience with the Eheim 2028 (big brother), it is the primer pump o-ring and if you are comfortable with DIY repairs, check out atomicrice.com to buy the o-ring (Eheim doesn't sell it) and instructions for the repair. Or you can just follow the repair instructions and clean up and lube that o-ring and see if that fixes the problem.

It is really easy to make the repair but I recommend printing out the instructions for ease of use and in case the website becomes non-functional sometime in the future.

I have ordered from them in the past and done the repairs. I bought a couple o-rings just in case I had to do it again.

LesbianChap

Don't ask, I'll tell.
Jan 2, 2006
Florida
I've seen Barkeeper's Friend (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008EN9XUI) come recommended for hardwater buildup on tanks, both glass and acrylic. It's non-abrasive and basically powdered acid...and stronger than the acid in your typical grocery store vinegar. When you're done, give your tank a real good rinse and you should be fine.

For glass, I've seen someone mention trying 1500 wet grit sandpaper if/when everything else fails...it's not supposed to scratch the glass but will scrub off anything else. I've never tried it though, so I can't say how well it works. (edit: or if it really won't scratch your glass)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Start with the least treatment you can; ie plastic scrubby pads & vinegar, then razor blade carefully (but not on plastic!). Then maybe CLR, Barkeeper's Friend or Acid Magic (that's a new 1 to me!). Plan on lots of rinsing whatever you choose. Bleach kills lots of stuff like many diseases but doesn't work on hard water deposits...it's the base pH of lime deposits vs acid of vinegar, CLR & BF; bleach is the opposite pH of what you need (basic).

What's the hardness (GH & KH) of your new water? Nitrate? You need to do some testing to learn about your new house & water. You'll find what works for you, moving always requires adjustments to new situations. Go slow, you've got enough to do without trying to keep your tank up (if you aren't moving fish or animals). Omm!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store