Harlequin rasboras vs black neon tetras

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
Only in comparison to fish sticks.
no, they are fairly smart.... you can train them, they recognize their owners from other people, they have social heiarchies... compared to other cyprinids, they're geniuses.

monkey_toes

"Maybe it's a hybrid"
Feb 7, 2006
Southwest Florida
I like black neons, but mine never schooled in my old 29 gallon. I had 8 in there. When I upgraded to a 125 and added 12 more, then they started to school more. I don't know if it's the bigger space, having more schoolmates, or if they feel intimidated by the angels and festivums.

monkey_toes

"Maybe it's a hybrid"
Feb 7, 2006
Southwest Florida
no, they are fairly smart.... you can train them, they recognize their owners from other people, they have social heiarchies... compared to other cyprinids, they're geniuses.
I've never really kept other cyprinids, except a few loach species (which I thought seemed reasonably smart). The goldies I kept when I was a kid always seemed borderline retarded, doing things like:
• Getting stuck every day behind the filter intake because they were too fat to fit between the tube and the glass.
• Trying to eat bubbles on the surface of the water, despite being well-fed twice a day.
• Repeatedly trying to eat the thermometer stuck to the OUTSIDE of the glass.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
I've never really kept other cyprinids, except a few loach species (which I thought seemed reasonably smart). The goldies I kept when I was a kid always seemed borderline retarded, doing things like:
• Getting stuck every day behind the filter intake because they were too fat to fit between the tube and the glass.
• Trying to eat bubbles on the surface of the water, despite being well-fed twice a day.
• Repeatedly trying to eat the thermometer stuck to the OUTSIDE of the glass.
didn't say they were the smartest fish in the world, just that they weren't as brainless as most cyprinids.

also, loaches are cypriniformes, but not true cyprinids.

SmallFishi

I'm addicted to Aquaria Central!
Nov 8, 2006
Canada
I have a school of Harlequin Rasbora they are very fun to watch, very peaceful keep to the mid-top of the tank and are always busy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store