Has anyone kept Tiger Barbs with Cardinal Tetras?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lostchemist

...Lost its just the way I am...
Aug 29, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
THe tank is 3 feet long. I was thinking about a couple of blue rams? Does anyone think they would mix with tiger barbs?
Coreys are also on my list of posibilities...

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Please consider fishless cycling. It will give you ample time to spick your stocking list, and allow you to choose fish that are more sensitive, as well as being able to add the territorial fish last. There are several threads in the Archives that cover fishless cycling, and provide links to step-by-step instructions.

Lostchemist

...Lost its just the way I am...
Aug 29, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Well i haven't bought the tank yet I am just trying to get your guys opinions on what co-exist with my tiger barbs...i take your opinions seriously and then go ahead to finish my research to pick the right fish. I just need it narrowed down. As for cycling, I will prob do it with no fish, although i have heard that if i take some gravel from an already established tank, place it in a bag and add it to the filter it can help set up a bio system in the filter.

Dont you have to add amonia to help cycle the tank. I was just thinking of useing my pre-existing tigers to help aid in that process.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Yes, you can use media from an established tank to seed a new tank--or, start it up with a low fish load. However, if ammonia levels are detectable by our hobbyist kits, it's high enough to burn gills and kill fish. Adding ammonia to feed the bacteria instead is kinder, and means your fish will be around longer. Any source of ammonia though--fish food, or chunk of raw shrimp, will work without hurting live fish.

vanguy

AC Members
Oct 30, 2003
Visit site
Rams & Barbs

I am not sure why my barb and rams dont get along. maybe it is because there hasnt been many fish in the tank for awhile and the barb has gotten ownerish for the tank. I had three neons in there, and one by one they disappeared misteriously. Anyhow, I figured i would add apic of what has been happening to my rams in two days.

nippedfin.jpg

DMS

AC Members
Oct 27, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
I've always found that the best way to start a new tank is to use stuff from a tank that is already established. If I were you, I'd go ahead & buy another HOB filter & add it to your largest tank, then move it to the new tank in a couple of weeks. Transfer over a little gravel, decorations, etc. if you can. Then, just add fish slowly. JMO, Good Luck!

Mike Jigsaw

Registered Member
Nov 17, 2023
I have and there are no issues at all. Tiger barbs mind their business and cardinal tetras their own. I haven't seen any sign of aggression at all between species. My small tank is a 20 gallon and has 7 Tiger barbs, 6 cardinal tetras, 6 khulie loaches and 6 corydoras Jillie.

Attachments

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Welcome to AC Mike! This thread is 20 years old...but I like your tank pic! I have to say, like many people, I had problems trying to keep cardinals or neons w/ adult tiger barbs. I bet all your plants help keep any aggression down a bit.

Tell us more please! I think it's a 20g standard tank (neither long or high)? How long have you had it set up this way? I'm a plant person & yours look healthy & nice. What lighting are you using? What other fish are in there? We'd like to know!

You might start a new thread for your tank. There's a "new topic" bar or button on the upper right in a given forum (like this "General" 1). There's also an "introduce yourself" forum way, way down past most everything if that feels more comfortable. You could tell us how long you've been in the hobby, favorite fish (mine are loaches & catfish) or, in a vague way, where you live. We live all over, mostly in the US, but everywhere! We might help with clubs or shops to check out too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store