Has anyone tried to soundproof their filter cabinet?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lobster4

AC Members
Jan 12, 2012
I have a 264 gph aquatop canister filter in a cabinet below the tank. Which is fairly quiet. I was thinking to put sheetrock and maybe some acoustic panels in the cabinet to keep the sound down. Has anyone ever tried something like this?

Acableguy06

Registered Member
Dec 31, 2011
NW Ohio
Its pricy but dynamat would do a good job im sure. It is used in the auto industry to soundproof vehicles to keep out road noise or to keep car audio in the car. If you google it there is many places that have it.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
I think that a 1/2" sheet of compressed foam insulation would do the job you want done and at a fraction of the time/effort/mess/cost.

You can get 4x8' sheets of it at lowes or home depot. You can also get varying thicknesses of it.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i just put a tea towel folded in half under my rena canister in my tank stand cabinet. works great for lowering the amount of vibration and noise!

Humblepie

AC Members
Jan 27, 2012
You can do dynamat, and that does work well. There are alternatives. I am also a computer building enthusiast, have been for years and there are tons of people who do silent PC mods. Trust me, a PC can be much louder than any aquarium setup that doesn't have pistol shrimp in the tank. Still you might want to check out what people have done with mods to build silent PCs to do the same thing for your cabinet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store