Has enyone seen a dwarf Gourami get this fat?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fish-Addict

AC Members
Dec 7, 2008
Buckinghamshire, England
Real Name
Sam
No that is not Correct.
From what I could tell males and females are usually nearly identical in color. The definite way of sexing them is by the fin shape in the males. Which are pointed anal,dorsal,and caudal fins as well as longer ventrals on the males. The females usually get a bit heavier carrying a large amount of eggs in her ovum.

No. You told me this in my breeding thread, and I said the same. Males are colourful, females are dull. Maybe not with other gouramis, but with DGs it is.

Maybe not in the wild, but in the hobby, when you are in shops buying them, or if you breed them, my rule applies

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
Well we have put the Gourami into the hospital tank. have done some research and not sure what to think anymore. He/She (dont really know) is really plump. His/Her Scales are looking kinda pineconed. Kinda hanging out at the bottom now. Well see how it goes. Not sure what to do. Feeling kinda helpless!
Sorry to hear about your fish. Don't beat yourself up over it though. Dwarf Gourami livestock is NOT known for being hardy. They are mass-bred and, as Hooked Newbie mentioned, often manipulated with hormones. The result is that much of the stock that you see at your LFS is weak and vulnerable to disease. This has certainly been my experience from working for a (reputable) LFS. ;)

CatawbaIslander

AC Members
Mar 15, 2009
Ohio
Thanks for the support. He did in fact die. Not getting anymore Gourami's. Should I do anything about my other fish in my main tank?? is everyone gonna find the same fate?
HELP!!

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Thanks for the support. He did in fact die. Not getting anymore Gourami's. Should I do anything about my other fish in my main tank?? is everyone gonna find the same fate?
HELP!!

Sorry for the loss. :(

Sadly, Dwarf Gourami stock has been very weak for the last couple years. If the other fish look healthy, I wouldn't do anything to treat them. That would probably cause more harm than good IMO.

katschamne

AC Members
Feb 3, 2008
Geneva, IL
Sorry to hear about your fish. Don't beat yourself up over it though. Dwarf Gourami livestock is NOT known for being hardy. They are mass-bred and, as Hooked Newbie mentioned, often manipulated with hormones. The result is that much of the stock that you see at your LFS is weak and vulnerable to disease. This has certainly been my experience from working for a (reputable) LFS. ;)
:iagree: That is my experience as well. I'm sorry for your lose as well. Just keep an eye on the other ones to make sure that they don't have it as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store