Have angelfish questions!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Confusion is right it's hit or miss on angels eating your guppies but if they ate the guppy fry its a safe bet they will try and eat the adults at some point.

Your angels need to be out of that 10 gallon tank ASAP. it would be like you living in your closet. They need the room to grow.

I use a 10 to grow wigglers for 5 weeks then move them to a 29 to grow out to quarter size.

until you can move them I recommend you do 20% WC daily the angels really need fresh water and you bio-load is to high.

Altum's are the only angels that are not supper vials. Super vials are angels that have been bread for the size of their fins.

Altums are wild there are 2 varieties they are bigger bodied and smaller fined than the golds blacks etc. They have not been spawned in the hobby as far as I know.

They are rare to find in LFS but they do show up from time to time.
actually Altums are Altums..while there may be some differences in the altums due to geopraphics..they are none the less altums. I am not sure what you are referring to regarding gold and black.
there has been some wild scalare that have been mis identified as altums but the characteristics are fairly clear regarding face shape, body shape and colorations.(Altums usually appear with black bars with thick brown alternate bars running the height of the body) the scalare do not have wide brown bars their brown bars are narrow and may not run the height of the body.
you seem to have missed Leopoldi..which are NOT super veils.

there are three distinct species of Angel fish to date
Altum, Scalare and Leopoldi.
there is some discussion /debate on other possible angels but it is not conclusive and way beyond my expertise(limited)
of the three..the altums tend to be more difficult to acclimate usually as a result of poor survivablity during shipping . followed by wild scalre then the Leopoldi. the most common wild found in stores(LFS) tend to be the Leopoldi(tough lil buggers) on rare occassion you may find Altums.

I currently lucked out and got wild Peruvian Scalare
if you have not raised wilds..you should see the distinct differences to domestic scalare.
of the wilds.. the scalare and Leoplidi have been successfully spawned.

there are rare instances of Altums but it is rare.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store