Have you used sculpey or another pvc clay?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
Wow! Looks great! Can't wait for the full shot!

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
Awesome...I look forward to hearing the results on the plastic clay

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Looking good! I'm wondering if You could put something thin like plastic wrap or cloth between the clay & rock or whatever you are using to make an impression? That way it would take the shape & still release, and you could just peel the plastic/cloth off. Fabric could give extra texture as well.
I have been wondering about this for a while so it's great to have you work out the bugs for me. Thanks for sharing!
Can't wait to see it all together.
Spit is a great mold release, but on a large project like this - might be problematic. ;)

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
so it's been about a week, and the plants seem to be doing ok. I've seen a tiny bit of the wilting I know comes with repotting a tree like these, and the HC has shrunk back a bit due to the lower humidity, but nothing is dying.

The one negative I'm observing is the water. I've been doing 100% waterchanges every other day, and by the end of day 2 the water is noticably stained light brown. I'm guessing this is from the sculpey, and is less than desirable. I've been keeping waste water in a 5g bucket, and it has a slight oil slick on the surface. It must be the sculpey releasing something. Unfortunate, I had high hopes for this. I'm sure it will be fine for just plants, but it would have been nice to have some shrimp too.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
hmm. Mellow I went back and read this whole thing from the start and am wondering --you said when you baked the wall it was still somewhat malleable when it came out of the oven. Is it possible that it was "under-done" at that stage? Maybe if it had baked a little longer to a little more solidified consistency it would not now be releasing whatever this water-browning/oil-slick-releasing stuff is?

also....where do you get this sculpy stuff, or the other brand user_name was working with? Had never heard of it before so don't know what terms to search for in looking. You mentioned it came in multiple colors? And that filter...I thought it was the Toms I have in my micro shrimp tank but yours looks like mine would if you squished it to half the height and double the circumference. I do not know this model but love the effect it gives in that setting. link(s) plz. :)

and the tank is just gorgeous. the mosses, the stones.../quivers, drools in envy

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
I've gotta say/ask, I don't believe the clay is fully baked/cured. Does it say it should be rubbery or solid and will break if hit??

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
the sculpey comes with no instructions really, and I baked it longer than was suggested on most websites I checked out. I baked it for 45 minutes. I actually forget what temperature I used, but I remember checking the sites before baking. When it came out it was firm, but just slightly flexible. but once it cooled it was a lot harder. I don't expect it ever to end up like stone or anything, it's pvc. It could be under done, or could just be that it's not a great material for aquatics. or that sculpey III is not as good as fimo or super sculpey.

oh, and yeah, that's just a smaller version of the tom filter. They had multiple sizes at somepoint, the only difference is the filter basket size. everything else is identical. They are great. I don't know of a smaller pump worth bothering with. I've probably got 6 of them scattered around.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store