having babies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

skippy2

AC Members
Mar 14, 2004
holland, mi
Visit site
Thanks, everybody for your responses. I am beginning to think he might (or I very well could) have the names of these fish mixed up. I will talk to him tonite or tomorrow and just see what exactly he has in his tank. More importantly, find out who is doing who!!!

mome rath

splatter me with mustard
Mar 23, 2003
Columbus, OH
Originally posted by ChiefXP
isnt the breeding of jack dempsies extremely hard?
NOT IF YOU CROSS THEM WITH AFRICANS

skippy2

AC Members
Mar 14, 2004
holland, mi
Visit site
Originally posted by yonderway
I smell a troll.

Flowerhorn, Jack Dempseys and Texas Cichlids are all different species. Texas Cichlids and Jack Dempseys are from different continents.

African cichlids are too distantly related to have any hope of producing live young. It would even be a stretch to think that a male of a new world guapote would even try to fertilize the eggs of an african mbuna.

Anyone who believes this fantastic story is being taken for a ride.
:confused: I am definately not a troll. I don't know how I missed that part of your post till now. I am trying to get an answer for what is going on. I will show my son this post and a) he can explain what is going on, or, b) you all can explain to him he is wrong.

peifc

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
New York
www.peifc.com
Even though we said your son was wrong, the cichlids didn't think they were wrong. If they wanna breed, I don't think your son can physically stopped them from breeding.

However, just to let you know, I don't believe there are many LFS will take in hybrid. Unless your son wanna grow out a few to see what they will turn out. Otherwise, it is such a waste of money to grow out unwanted fish.

mome rath

splatter me with mustard
Mar 23, 2003
Columbus, OH
We said the alleged fish would not produce viable fry. Since there are fry, there must be an identification error.

The fry were believed to be from an "African cichlid" and a Flowerhorn.

However, even if a mating was attempted between these two fish (unlikely), some pre- or post-zygotic isolation mechanism would prevent any progeny from developing.

skippy2

AC Members
Mar 14, 2004
holland, mi
Visit site
:cool: Well, cool. I'm glad you guys don't think I am a troll anymore. I haven't talked to him since Mon. morning but, like I said earlier I will get to the bottom of this. Besides, I am curious as hell to see what these'babies' look like.

mome rath probably hit the nail on the head with"We said the alleged fish would not produce viable fry. Since there are fry, there must be an identification error."

C!CHL!D

AC Members
Aug 30, 2003
usa
Visit site
Originally posted by yonderway
I smell a troll.

Flowerhorn, Jack Dempseys and Texas Cichlids are all different species. Texas Cichlids and Jack Dempseys are from different continents.
Last time I checked, Jack dempseys and Texas cichlids are both from central america. Plus most of the fish that are hybridized to "create" a flowerhorn are from various locations in central america. So it is entirely possible that any of the three could have hybridized with one another. Although it would not be etical to sell any of these fry, it would be cool to see how a few of them turn out.

mome rath

splatter me with mustard
Mar 23, 2003
Columbus, OH
Jack Dempseys
Origin: Southern Mexico, Guatemala and Honduras

Texas Cichlid
Origin: Central America, Northern Mexico

Yes, they are from the same continent (North America). Hooray!

The issue has since changed from where the presumptive parents originated to what type of fish they actually are.
Why not wait until a positive identification of the parent fish in question has been made to further debate what the fry might be? Apparently, someone had babies. When we get ID's of the parents, we'll know what happened.

skippy2

AC Members
Mar 14, 2004
holland, mi
Visit site
" Apparently, someone had babies. When we get ID's of the parents, we'll know what happened."

Exactly!!! My son works alot. I am waiting for his phone call with bated breath:D

On another note, I am picking up a royal gramma today. At least I have sw fish ids down pat. Maybe:D

skippy2

AC Members
Mar 14, 2004
holland, mi
Visit site
Well, all the babies are doing fine. The id on the parents are definately correct. The parents have killed off the remaining adult fish except for the garbage eaters. I'm sorry, I can't remember the original names--pocasamus, I think. They too are not allowed to get too close. My son is talking to a couple of fw stores in his area. They also said they would like to see his tank.
If he has time from work, he will borrow a digital camera this weekend and email me pictures. I will post them here.:cool:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store