Heard about the aquatic plant ban in Texas? Your state next?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I'm in Del Rio,(TX) and we're infested to the gills with common plecos. There is a college teacher here that was in the newspaper because he's harvesting them from the creek to do studies on them (dissect them, and whatnot) I guess to try to get a handle on how they are affecting our local species, and anyway, the teacher said when being interviewed for the paper, that if the species is not native, it's legal for you to collect it without a liscense. I don't know if that's allowed anywhere in TX, or just here, or not legal anymore, because the articles were like at least a year ago, I think....
A lot of places do that. Plecos are a huge problem in a lot of places because they're way hardy and decimate the local populations of fish. They eat too much.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I'm in Del Rio,(TX) and we're infested to the gills with common plecos. There is a college teacher here that was in the newspaper because he's harvesting them from the creek to do studies on them (dissect them, and whatnot) I guess to try to get a handle on how they are affecting our local species, and anyway, the teacher said when being interviewed for the paper, that if the species is not native, it's legal for you to collect it without a liscense. I don't know if that's allowed anywhere in TX, or just here, or not legal anymore, because the articles were like at least a year ago, I think....
If the species is not native to Texas, you can harvest it year-round. This includes plants and animals. No license required and no seasonal limits.

Mark

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
One thing I think a lot of you are looking past is, what we call aquarium plants and think of as so pretty are all weeds somewhere in the world. Nature doesnt care about aquascaping a lake or river, its survival of the fittest. Its been beaten to death, give something favorable conditions and it will thrive. Texas, being the subtropical climate it is, is a prime spot for many non native species.

Im not for or against this bill, Im more for people being responsible and a little education can go a long way. However there will still be people in this world, even right next door, that will still choose to be irresponsible and do the wrong thing. Human nature sucks sometimes, thats why you have bills like this.

Tom.E

AC Members
Jan 6, 2000
New York, USA
Probably a good compromise would be something like a temporary white list lasting say 12-24 months banning any new sales and transportation of any species not on the state white list. Current owners of species not on the white list would be unaffected during this period.

This would give the TDPW time to go through submitted species for creating a more updated and more enforceable prohibited 'black list' of invasives. Once the white list expires the black list of prohibited species would go into enforcement.

Tom

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Maybe so, but what about Snakeheads in MD? Boas in the everglades, etc. While some aquarium plants may be caught in too wide a net, that is what public comment periods are for, etc.
And yes, I am a dyed-in-the-organic-hand-fed wool tree hugger.
The Snakehead release was traced back to a person who bought the fish at an Asian fish market to make a soup considered to be medicinal. When the person he was making the soup for got better he released the fish. In 30 years in the fish trade I've never seen a Northern Snakehead anywhere except in a fish market. And as far as damage, at least in the US, it has been nil, except to the delicate sensibilities of some of our more emotionally fragile citizens. There are Snakeheads living and breeding 40 miles away from you in FDR Park in South Philly and they cause nothing but fun & tasty meals for the anglers who catch them. I never fished there before I found out about the Snakeheads but the oldtimers I talk to there say they haven't noticed any reduction in other species. If you want to know some fish that cause real damage in PA look at the invasives that get stocked here by the Fish & Boat Commission on a continuing basis, such as Brown and Rainbow Trout ( they prey much more heavily on Darter species than our native Brook Trout ) and Largemouth Bass, the second most environmentally damaging fish in the world after the Nile Perch. It's ok to dyed in the organic wool, but don't let the wool get between your ears!

http://www.wtop.com/?sid=2005107&nid=25

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Then why mention Snakeheads without knowing the whole story. Fertilizer like that serves no good purpose.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
That story about the soup sounds like BS to me. How did one fish reproduce?

It's quite possible that Asian fish markets are to blame, but I doubt one person with one snakehead started all this...for one thing, because these fish can't reproduce by cloning ;)

And while we should certainly tip our hat to the observations of the wise fishermen, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service seems to disagree strongly:
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/snakeheadfactsheetedited.pdf

Last edited:

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Certainly possible that these fish don't do as much damage as other invasives, I can agree with that, but as far as the damage being "nil" - I seriously doubt that is true, and seems like an extreme stance to take with nothing to back it up other than casual observations.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store