hedge plant

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kaliska

AC Members
Dec 6, 2015
I bought something just labelled hedge. The hedge plant results I can find in google say it is not fully aquatic. If it's the same thing as the cherry and green hedge. I will get pictures. Since I am putting a lava rock wall up the back of the tank could I plant it near the top and grow it emersed? Although my lights currently aren't high enough to stick much of it out. Plans to replace are near the bottom of my list. I also am setting up a betta breeding tank and it would be a good hiding place for the female and useful for the fry. The tank would be a 10g filled no more than halfway but without substrate. Unless I block off one end for substrate and try to get them to build the nest on the other end. The bottom needs to be clear under the nest for the male to find fallen eggs and return them to the nest.

I guess if I determine this plant is the nonaquatic hedge plants listed everywhere can it grow partially underwater without a good soil medium for the roots?

Kaliska

AC Members
Dec 6, 2015
I put 4" of sand in a gallon container and added enough water to be a few inches standing on top. Then I planted the hedge cuttings and put them under a light. I am thinking if I grow them big enough and adjust them slowly to being emersed maybe they can grow as bog plants. Sites selling them for use around ponds say they can get about a foot tall and a 10g is about a foot tall minus 2" for the depth of the sand so they would stick just out of the top. If I replace my old regular fluorescent bulbs with a raised led fixture in the future it may work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store