Hello Everyone!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
It doesn't take much surface agitation to cause a gas exchange. I have been using an airstone in a tank with no filter (temporary fix I had to do), but as soon as I add a filter of any size that airstone will be turned off for the benefit of the plants. Filter ratings are like opinions... They are out there for your consideration, but they may not apply to your individual situation. Plant density is a major factor on how much filtration is needed to keep the tank healthy. Some people even have densely planted tanks with no filter at all! There does have to be water movement of some sort unless the fish are surface breathers like Bettas.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
+1 i use two filters on my moderately planted 40 gallon. They are both rated for 70 gallons. The tank stays nice and clean. The plants are growibg and the fish are healthy and active.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
I really like the way the small stream of bubbles look, but I would forsake that in lieu of having better looking, healthier plants. Will I need to use c02 for the plants?

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
I really like the way the small stream of bubbles look, but I would forsake that in lieu of having better looking, healthier plants. Will I need to use c02 for the plants?
It really depends on the plants and the lighting. With what you describe in other threads, I would say, "no" on CO2. There is something to say about keeping a low-tech planted tank that's clean and healthy without all the supplementation and add on gadgets. However, this IS a hobby, so feel free to get as complicated as you like and/or can afford, haha :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
I work 40 hours a week so don't have a lot of time to get seriously complicated. The less complicated the better, however, it is a hobby in the respect that I've never done this but am determined to make it work, for plants, fishies and me. :) It's crazy how much time and money can go into creating these little underwater environments. But so worth it.

I saw the worst KIA commercial ever. Guy on his way home from work rushes into the pet store, buys a big googly eye goldfish and literally throws the bag with the fish inside, onto the passenger seat where it's rolling around. He rushes home, pulls into the driveway, slams on his brakes, runs in the house and quickly pours the fish and fishwater into an empty small fishbowl. What's up with that? It's supposed to be a car commercial, not how to inhumanely treat a little creature. :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store