Hello! New to tanks and here

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Humblepie

AC Members
Jan 27, 2012
Well I'm new to the hobby and thought I'd give a shout out here. I've been doing some lurking here for a couple of weeks and love all the information I've read. Even the contradictory stuff.

A little history: (skip if you want)
I used to have a small aquarium as a child long, long ago. Had it for years, but someone else set it all up for me back then since I was only 7 or 8. Around 11 my mother came to clean my room and decided my fish looked "cold." I think she was looking for dirty mags or something because she never came in my room to clean like that before. So she turned up my heater and nuked all my fish I had. Never got anymore after that because I was so pissed at my mom. Although over the past few years I've been wanting to get back into the hobby, I must say I really didn't know that much and was a bit daunted.

Fast forward to a month ago. (can also skip if you want)
Recently had my girlfriend move in with me into my house. She already had an established 29 gal tank with a couple of couple fish and neons. She had one small Oranda and one large Fantail goldfish. She had been running a single Aqueon 30 HOB filter for the tank with some gravel substrate with a couple medium sized decoration. We did a good move from her place to mine when she moved in. She had been having some algae problems, she's a neat freak, and hated the look of it. She had tried buying a couple of plecos in the past, but she told me they would literally die within minutes of getting them. I think she was getting some bad plecos from somewhere. So after she had been moved in with me for 2 months she decided she want to try and get another pleco. So we headed over to petsmart for a pleco. My GF though is like a starving kid in a candy store when she is in a pet shop. If I would let her should put a horses, cows, chickens, cats, dogs, pigs, turtles, and practically every other animal in on the planet in my little house. So of course she is wanting to buy dozens of fish there. Instead I am able to convince her to keep it small. She buys a small pleco, small tiger barb, and a small pictus catfish. Well by morning we wake up to a dead barb and some fungul growth over the intake of the Aqueon. At this time I really don't know squat about aquarium keeping and have no clue what to do. She says we should do a water change and clean off the gunk. so we take the barb out, clean out the gunk off the intake, and do a 20% ish water change. Over the next few days practically everything starts dying. My GF cried and cried. I didn't know what to do and started reading. We had the water checked but it came out fine on ammonia and nitrites at first. As more fish started dying those level started shooting up pretty high, especially the ammonia. I still didn't know much about what was happening and truth be told I think the only explanation is she shocked the tank too much somehow with the new fish. Basically only the pleco has survived and is still alive today. To keep her from being in a depressed state I said we'll build her tank back up and that I also wanted to start a big new tank. We ended up getting her a couple more tiger barbs, some danios, and black finned catfish sharks for the tank for now. Also picked up another Aqueon 30 to add to her filtration as well as sticking some Fluval edge pre fitler sponges on the intake valves this time. Everything in her tank seems fine at the moment and hopefully stays that way.

You can start reading here for what I'm currently doing.
I called in a local friend who was the specialty manager at petsmart for a number of years before managing a LFS. Now he's a manager for Budweiser deliveries. Anyhow he had a lot of great advice, along with a truck I could borrow, and I leaned on him heavily. I picked up the Marineland 60 gallon tank kit they had at petsmart for $275. Although I could have gone used for cheaper off craiglist, I was leery about that since I've had friends try that before and received broken or leaking tanks. I didn't want to go through that. I tested my water out of the tap and here in south Texas the water is HARD. It has a pH of 8.7 with a gH and kH that is literally off the scale. With that in mind I'm going with an African cichlid tank from the online research I've done. I picked up bunch of gravel (although people I've read on other forums kept saying I should be using sand) along with several pieces of Texas Holey rock to toss into the tank. This was all done 2 weeks ago. It's been cycling since with currently two Emperor 400s hanging on the back. While not being exceptionally loud, the noise of those filters are a bit more than I would like. I put a few fake plants that my friend says the cichlid shouldn't try to eat although they may try digging them up, but we'll just have to see how well the fake plants last in the tank. Also bought a piece of already treated driftwood from a LFS to toss in there. It didn't do a darn thing to my pH scale in the tank really.

My friend and LFS keep insisting I should start with an overstock of cichlids to keep down aggression. So I've though maybe I should add more filtration and such to at least go with the emp 400s. I might just get rid of the emp 400s later for their noise. So looking online I couldn't decide on what exactly I should get at first until I stumbled upon some threads here. I decided to go with a Aquatop (aka sunsun 404b) 500 as well as the Odyssea CFS 500. I plan on doing a few mods as others have done here to these guys. I know they are no Eheim, but I think they'll work well enough from the reviews here as long as I'm a bit more careful with them.

I've been cycling the tank with the emp 400s now for a couple of weeks. Originally I was doing it fishless but my friend said I should get some feeder fish instead. He has some Rosey Reds he keeps for his Oscars and gave me a dozen of them to toss in the 60g tank. I didn't want to do it, ut he says if they die it does matter. Just give them back to him so he can use them to feed his Oscars or crawfish. Which is what they were destined for in the first place. So far they seem to be doing fine although the ammonia level seems really high. I was hoping the ammonia would start going down soon but it hasn't at all. But I'm still waiting on my two canisters to arrive anyhow.

My GF also now wants to start up a tank for angelfish or discus. She isn't sure which she likes better. This time I might go with a tank I find off CL if I can find a good enough deal. If you guys want can take some pics later of the new tank I'm setting up. There one set of decorations I'm missing that I plan to stick in there that I think will be very cool looking. I've ordered some gypsum selenite tower lamps. I picked up a bunch ranging in sizes from 6 to 14 inches in length. If you don't know what these look like, they look like the crystals from Superman's Fortress of Solitude. The only downside is gypsum dissolves over time in water and might make the water WAY to high on the pH and hardness scales. So I plan on using water tight clear coat enamel to seal those suckers before putting them in there. I think over all the effect will be rather dramatic. I wanted to keep the colors in the tank very neutral with whites and blacks so that the colors of the African cichlids just pop out at you.

My friend and the LFS says once my tank is cycled and I have the canisters set up and good to go I should overstock my tank with around 30 fish that will have be a bunch of baby cichlids, plecos, and catfish. I also might stick in cyphotilapia as well since my GF really likes the look of fish with big heads. Don't ask me why. Both my friend and the LFS recommend me doing this much fish to prevent too much aggression now and later when the fish grow up.

If you guys want I can take some pictures of what I got going, although with the rosies in there it is pretty boring, when I get home.

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
Welcome to AC! Maybe I'm missing something, but are you doing any partial water changes while your tank cycles? If not that would be why your ammonia level is rising. Also, I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind overstocking a tank? I'm sorry, but that's just madness. LOL. Seriously, that opens you up to all kinds of problems.

Humblepie

AC Members
Jan 27, 2012
Welcome to AC! Maybe I'm missing something, but are you doing any partial water changes while your tank cycles? If not that would be why your ammonia level is rising. Also, I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind overstocking a tank? I'm sorry, but that's just madness. LOL. Seriously, that opens you up to all kinds of problems.
As for the ammonia level, I actually had ammonia from the get go with my new 60 gal tank. Why? It took me awhile to come up with an answer. There isn't cloramine used as treatment in my waterwhich rules that out. I've tested my tap water and it comes out ammonia and chloramine free. I even tested it after using Prime on it to make sure there was no chloramine. It was still ammonia free. But from the get go I had ammonia. I couldn't figure out what it was from. I put all my decorations into different tubs and tested them all separately and got nothing. I originally washed EVERYTHING down before putting it into the tank with one exception. The tank it self. I forgot to wash it down and it was a display tank. It took us awhile to deduce that it may have had residue cleaning products on it like windex which gave me the ammonia in the tank. As for now, I have ammonia cause I have a dozen rosey reds in there. It's still cycling though so I'm waiting to buy the fish I really want when the cycle is over. As for now I'm not doing water changes on the new 60 gal tank until it has finished cycling.

As for the overstocking, I have been told by numerous people and read several times that it is safer to overstock with African Cichlids. Having too many prevents territorial aggression. It also allows weaker or smaller members to "hide" in with the crowd. With an over stocked tank there isn't enough territory to fight over so they just constantly move instead of hanging out in one spot. All of which prevents fighting among them. I'm not an expert on this subject though as this is just stuff I've found as information from many different sources elsewhere.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
When talking to people about stocking my 20high with gold occies, I've had a couple of cichlid breeders tell me that overstocking will reduce aggression and some of the most successful breeding set ups they have, at least with shellies, has been 20 in a 15 gallon tank that has the footprint of a 20L (just shorter) as long as there are at least 2 shells per fish. I'm not sure why it works, but I've heard this from multiple people who breed cichlids. They have been trying to convince me it would be better to get 10 for my 20 high than a trio. I know they're not trying to just sell me more fish since they dont breed the ones I'm looking for anymore, but I'm still nervous about doing that. We'll see once I change that tank around for shellies.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
There are a variety of cichlids, and not all "Africans" will do well in the overstocked tank environment you are thinking of...I think it would be a good idea to narrow down which species you are thinking about getting. Not all will work well with each other either.

Also, even though these feeder fish are going to be eaten anyways I think you would need treat this tank like a normal fish cycle. Stress from horrible water conditions (ammonia/nitrite spikes) will make them more susceptible to disease or just weaker in general. Not exactly the best meal for your friend's oscar. I would also keep in mind that with a fish cycle you are not cycling for the full stocking amount of the tank, which is why it is recommended to stock slowly during the process.

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
Also, even though these feeder fish are going to be eaten anyways I think you would need treat this tank like a normal fish cycle. Stress from horrible water conditions (ammonia/nitrite spikes) will make them more susceptible to disease or just weaker in general. Not exactly the best meal for your friend's oscar. I would also keep in mind that with a fish cycle you are not cycling for the full stocking amount of the tank, which is why it is recommended to stock slowly during the process.
That's what I'm thinking. Not doing partial water changes, the ammonia levels will continue to rise. And if the fish start dying, it will just create even more ammonia. I just don't understand the thinking behind not doing water changes during a fish-in cycle.

Humblepie

AC Members
Jan 27, 2012
No point in water changes if I'm using prime or stresscoat. Both nuetralize the ammonia level without effecting your cycle. Water changes aren't needed from what I understand until nitrates start to rise.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Prime isn't going to stop the ammonia from hurting the fish. You are in a fishy cycle, whether you plan on keeping the current fish or not, or whether they are feeders destined to be an Oscar's lunch. High ammonia levels can actually slow down and eventually stop the cycle to the BB you need. Even when doing a fishless cycle, you only dose the tank on purpose to about 3-5 ppm and maintain it in that area while the process happens.

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?84598-Freshwater-cycling

tonergirl

AC Members
Sep 22, 2008
:hypnotized: Wow...that's some intro...:welcome: to Aquariacentral. :grinyes:

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
No point in water changes if I'm using prime or stresscoat. Both nuetralize the ammonia level without effecting your cycle. Water changes aren't needed from what I understand until nitrates start to rise.
If only it were that easy! You should read the sticky regarding Cycling. Adding Prime is mostly used for adding new water, not cycling a tank exclusively. Look at it another way, you have what, a 60 gallon tank? The fish create new ammonia every single day. It's unrealistic to keep adding enough Prime to treat 60 gallons each day, even if Prime did permanently remove all traces of ammonia. There is more to cycling a tank than adding chemicals from a bottle.

If you don't intend to do water changes, you are heading for disaster. Even once your tank is cycled you will still need to do weekly partially water changes. We're aren't trying to give you a hard time, but you are operating on false assumptions and you will eventually lose a lot of fish this way.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store