HELP! 40 gallon planted community tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cicrush13

AC Members
Oct 4, 2010
Detroit
Real Name
Steve
If you want to try and catch them and return them, that is completely up to you.

Personally, after the cycle is done, I would.

Flying foxes can get to be a little aggressive as they get older.
I might try otocinclus instead.

I would also do a larger school of tetras (12+).

So I assume you're using flourish chemicals?
I did this as well (and still use them).

When I remodled my 60 high over Christmas, I put in layered substrate of soil, clay and sand.

A couple more questions.

Lighting, T8, T5?
How many watts?

Are you using gravel for the substrate?

What filter/filtration are you using?

I hope this helps!

koi18

AC Members
Feb 20, 2012
If you want to try and catch them and return them, that is completely up to you.

Personally, after the cycle is done, I would.

Flying foxes can get to be a little aggressive as they get older.
I might try otocinclus instead. can you help me by giving a great example of a community tank with beta's? i'm getting bothered with the compatibility thing..lol..

I would also do a larger school of tetras (12+).

So I assume you're using flourish chemicals?
I did this as well (and still use them). i'll be using them as soon as i have filled my tank with more plants and i was also planning of making a co2 reactor to help with the growth of the plants.

When I remodled my 60 high over Christmas, I put in layered substrate of soil, clay and sand.

A couple more questions.

Lighting, T8, T5? it's a submersible T8.
How many watts? i have no idea..sorry..LOL it was given to me by a friend of mine.

Are you using gravel for the substrate? just plain gravel because i didn't want to experiment with dirt/soil in this tank.

What filter/filtration are you using? it's a precision PF-850 power filter

I hope this helps! it sure does!:)
can i add you up as one of my buddies here? so that i can have somebody to ask if i've got questions?

cicrush13

AC Members
Oct 4, 2010
Detroit
Real Name
Steve
If you want the bettas as the centerpiece of the tank I might think of a more Asian style tank.

Also, bettas have great personalities, but varies from fish to fish.
I've had one that ate "pill shaped fish" like neons and others that enjoy them as tank mates.

Stocklist:

8-12 rasbora heteromorpha
1 male betta
2-3 female betta
4-6 dwarf chain loaches (kinda hard to find, but awesome fish)

Plants to consider:

Cryptocoryne wedntii (any color)
Cryptocoryne Lutea
Anubia Nana

So the light is underwater?
Can you post some pics of your tank?

And of course you can add me!

koi18

AC Members
Feb 20, 2012
it's a hang on filter..are you familiar with JEBO products?

i'm uploading pix of my 40 gallon.. it's kinda slow, i guess somethings wrong with my connection..

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I did use the word "probably"...it's stressful on the fish either way and I wouldn't suggest it. That's a pretty unique setup! I've never seen underwater lights or that filter before. I'm subscribing, this is super interesting!

:cheers:

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
I don't know too much about pink zebras but the best fish to cycle a tank with are zebra danios they are extremely hardy I cycled my 36 gallon bow with danios. I agree you need an API liquid test kit ph, nitrite, nitrate and ammonia drops are a must for testing the water and be prepared to do wc's daily once ammonia and nitrite levels show and expect atleast 6-8 weeks before the tank fully cycles that is approximately how long it took me to cycle my tank using fish. Is alot of work but so worth it. Test for ammonia I would not let that level get to 1.0 or you will lose the cycle fish even 0.25 requires a water change and keep doing water changes anytime the test shows ammonia eventually the ammonia will level off to 0 and then you test for nitrite and even 0.25 of that level requires a water change nitrite is worse than ammonia. Keep doing water changes until nitrite levels are 0 and then test for nitrate once you see nitrate levels you are cycled. Once levels are 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and lets say atleast 5-10 of nitrate your tank is cycled slowly then you can add schools of fish but don't add your whole stock all at once or you will shock the cycle. Your nitrate level should not go above 40 usually 10-20 is good. Good luck!

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store