Help! BGKF Severely Bloated Belly!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Danomind

AC Members
Jul 18, 2008
USA
I have a Black Ghost Knife Fish, and it got stuck in the filter for a few hours while im gone and it jumped in. After fishing it out, a few days later its belly started to become severely bloated! What happened and how do I cure him?

Does this have anything to do with the filter? Water quality is normal, we've had this ghostie for 4 years now and he never gotten sick...PLEASE HELP!

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
what is "normal" water quality for you? exact numbers for ammonia nitrite and nitrate please.

i can't really picture in my head how a 4 yr old knife got stuck in a filter - how big is it? what kind of filter? was he all the way in it or sticking out part of the way?

has he been eating since this happened? any visible physical problems other than being really bloated (scrapes/cuts/extra slime coat/etc)?

cmartin

Extra tanks - no place to setup :(
Mar 14, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
How big is this BGK - mine is 11 inches and is almost 2 years old.. are you sure you have a Black Ghost Knife????

Did he get in the filter itself or stuck in the intake tube?

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
it would be more possible to help you if you would answer the questions we are asking. . . .

DrNo

Overworked Member...
Jul 9, 2008
Fish do NOT just get accidentally "stuck" or "pinned" on the intake of the filter (despite what some aquarists here might like to believe). This only happens when the fish is too weak to escape or is otherwise injured.

Your fish has been (and still is) ill due to either poor water conditions and/or disease. You need your own test kit to regularly test water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH). Do not trust strips. Until we have those measurements, there is not much that we (or you) can do for your specimen.

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
from what i can see, the fish didnt get stuck on the intake.. it jumped into it.. (hob???)

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
from what i can see, the fish didnt get stuck on the intake.. it jumped into it.. (hob???)
three people have already asked what kind of filter it is. . . . wish the OP would respond with specific answers so this could be figured out. no use making another thread about the same problem if no further information is ever provided.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store