Help can my oscar choking on a feeder???!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

xxbenjamminxx

AC Members
Aug 29, 2010
I need some advice from someone soon!! I have an Oscar about 4 inches long and he has eaten 2 feeder fish one right after another and now the 2nd one is still hanging out about 1/3 of the feeder fish's length (so about 1/4 to 5/16 "). Should I grab the the tail of the feeder with a pair of plyers and yank it out or should I just let my oscar do its thing and he will be ok??? Thanks in advance

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
I would leave it alone. My EBJD did this one time when he was only about 3" long, and it really freaked me out, but he eventually chopped it in half.

I think you might end up doing more damage trying to pull it out. If it seems like he is breathing still I would just leave him alone and keep a close eye on him.

If he starts looking distressed then maybe do something.

Gr8Mrs.H

Banned
Oct 8, 2010
North Carolina
Real Name
Mrs. H
I'd leave the oscar alone for now. If he becomes obviously distressed then intervene. If he will eat things other than feeders, perhaps try feeding that to him until he grows more, alternately feed smaller feeders.

You posted this a few hours ago, did the oscar get the feeder down?

xxbenjamminxx

AC Members
Aug 29, 2010
Well he ended up spittin it back out and then about 10 min later went back and ate with no problem at all. But that you all for the responses and advise. So far this is the best forum for all my novice fish keeping questions i can find and hope to be able to help others someday.

Carch

AC Members
Sep 1, 2010
Oscars always try to fit as much food as possible into their mouths. I've seen them pack in pellets, worms, feeders...

I wouldn't worry about him. He'll probably get a nice fat belly once he manages to fit the second fish in with the first, but he'll be fine.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
good to hear your oscar is ok.

on a side note, feeder goldfish are not a good choice of food for oscars. they have a high fat level with very little nutrional value for the oscar and are also high in thiamine, a chemical that breaks down the b-1 vitamin, causing it to be unavailable to the oscar (there have been discussions on how this b vitamin is a factor in HITH - hole in the head disease). also, feeder fish are notorious for carrying diseases and parasites.

i would strongly suggest changing your oscar's diet over to a mix of pellets (NLS and Omega are good ones) and frozen foods.

aussie pride

AC Members
Jun 21, 2010
yeah pellets are best. i only get feeders to let desmond have some naturalistic hunting. lol. great to hear the oscar is ok

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store