*HELP* DISCUS sitting on tank bottom

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bs6749

AC Members
Aug 24, 2008
The best thing you can do to prevent HITH is to do large and frequent water changes and keep the diet varied and nutritious (some suspect vitiamin deficiency as a probable cause of HITH). I'm guessing that your water changes aren't frequent nor large enough so I'd up the quantity of water you change and the frequency.

Heximita, the suspected cause of HITH, does not do well at higher temps and metronidazole will help greatly. It's suggested that you get the temperature up to at least 92. I'd put the metro in their food as that is the most effective way for metro to work. You can also purchase treated flake food from Angels Plus. Here is a link: http://www.angelsplus.com/FlakeMedicated.htm You will want the Anti-Protozoan Flake. Many people swear that it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
:iagree::iagree::thm:

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
I got that flake from Angels plus sitting under the stand - I will up the temp and look for the meds recomended. I have already incresed my water change frequency. Thanks, Arkangel77

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
I figured I would put this in both threads, just in case.

Ark, I have 50 Jungle Parasite Clear Tank Buddies I can send you if you can't find anything your way. The active ingredients are praziquantel, diflubenzuron, metronidazole, and acriflavine.

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
Thank you Snoops - I will let ya know later today - I am going to drive to a different town and see if I cant find any there. If I was to Get some from you I am sure I could just mail order some from a Mail Order Joint but who knows? Thanks, CDC

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
WELL I got an update for everyone. I treated with Clout earlier in the week and That helped or seemed to help. The turk looks like he has already started heal up (started to). My Metro came in and I did the 1st dose yesterday. I know here you guys said to do water changes between doses but the package does not say to do that. If I do water changes between each dose will that reduce the overall potency of the medication or am I making any sense? Just want to verify that you guys think I should do changes between each dose (which is still my plan).

The Brilliant blue is still fighting it (I still see Fungus). He was the worst by far but I am hope full that this will fix him up. The tank temp is still at 92 and so far everyone is doing well. I have bin feeding ONLY medicated flakes for several days now and will continue to do that until we are past this current out brake.

I guess thats where I am at - what do you guys think?
Thanks, Arkangel77

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
Just to close this out. If you were wondering, I just re-introduced the Brilliant Blue back to the tank a few days ago- after the first 10 days of metro he was still not better. Everyone else was better but not him! SO He went in a hospital tank for about another 3 or 4 weeks. More metro at first then some clout and High temps the whole time. He is better now (a little Thinner) but doing great cence I put him back in the main tank. He is eating well and acting great! I am sure he will plump right up and I am happy to have him back in the fold!:woot: :woot: :woot:

Arkangel77

Sportsnutim

AC Members
Jan 1, 2007
Western Washington
How many discus do you have in your tank? They prefer to have many more to socialize with. I have 7 medium to large in my 55 gallon two 38 gallon tanks with mating discus in it no more and change the water often. What color is his/hers poop? Does it list to it's side? Is it stressed? They don't like a lot of movement around the tank. The loaches can stress them if they move around quickly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store