HELP!!! How to save a fishtank!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sammysaddiction

AC Members
Aug 22, 2009
I just got home after spending months in a rehabilation hospital. I fell down the stairs and shattered my right ankle and severly sprained my left one as well. My foot and leg was literally in a zig-zag shape.

Anyways, during this time my aquarium was severly neglected. No one could figure out how to add water apparently.

Actualy what happened is that the fishtank is in my office and no one went into my office so I think they were forgotten about.

As a result my filter broke and all of my fish (my panda cories, Julian cories, tetras, kuhli loaches, and brigs. I don;t even want to talk about "my jungle" that died) died. 3 albanio cories and one gourami managed to survive in about two inches of water. The water is red. I don't know what to do. I don't want to shock them. The tank is a mess. I don't have money for a filter and won't for another week. Do I just slowly do water changes? Can I fill up the tank now and just leave the water that is in there? Or is it safe to do a complete tank break down and start all over?

lil_pendejo

AC Members
Dec 19, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
I would add water to the tank slowly over about 4 or 5 hours so you don't shock the fish. If you don't kill them by adding water I would continue to do daily water changes at a minimum of about 50%.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
If you have another tank to move them to, I would take the remaining fish home and very slowly drip acclimate them. Then break down the tank, start it over, and cycle it as new using old filter media from your house - I assume you have some fish tanks (or A fish tank) at home also. You can take your time doing it (and acquiring the new filter) since there won't be any living inhabitants.

I am really sorry about what happened to you :( It's always sad when fish suffer because of our health, but they are fish after all - your health comes first.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Very sad to hear of your health and tank issues, for sure, but....how do people not know how to add water to a tank?

Step 1) Google.....

Slow amounts of water and gradual changes to that water should do you right. I'm amazed and kind of appalled they let the tank get so bad.

Sammysaddiction

AC Members
Aug 22, 2009
Thank you everyone for your help!

I'm not *****y too much about my tank. I did ***** some. They managed to take care of my dogs, cats, and rats so I can't ***** too much. I would have been devasted if I lost any of them. Don't get me wrong, I'm still upset about losing my fish but it could have been much worse.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
I wouldn't move as fast as pendejo.... the start sounds good in slowly adding water bit by bit over a period over a day though... not just in 4 or 5 hours because think about it.... these fish are living in extreme. Go for the entire day to get that tank filled slowly with out removing anything. Add in as much dechlor as you are adding. Then when the tank is filled, every day or so, go through a 10% change. The thing to remember is these fish have been in almost straight mulm.... to throw too much clean water too soon will definitely do more harm than good. I like to err on the side of caution and move slowly to limit the stress as best as possible. Less is more in this case.

Sammysaddiction

AC Members
Aug 22, 2009
My fish are doing so much better! My corys are back to thier happy little swimming all over the place selves. I have one cory that is very skinny that I'm worried about but I'm finding them all extra food than what I normally would. They did go who knows how long without food, probably since the day of my accident.

I had to buy a new filter because the other one broke (probably from being left on and running dry).

I have been doing daily 25% water changes. My water is still tea colored! I can see into my tank much much better up close, but you can't see anything from a few steps away. Everything I read says that tea colored water is from driftwood, however I've had mine for 4 years and it never changed the color of the water before.

Any ideas on how to get my water clear?

steveshriver

AC Members
Nov 12, 2011
I agree w/ Patytude's advice, particularly if you have brought ths fish along this far. Get em out and the tank cleaned up I think.

owenodin

AC Members
May 17, 2011
Northeast
You mentioned you spent months in a rehab... did those cories live for months without any food? Impressive!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store