Help!! I strongly suspect my 75 g tank of leaking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

A. Nonymous

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
I discovered a large and spreading wet spot on my carpet right in front of my 75g tank in the living room. It's the entire length of the front of the tank and the carpet is wet probably down to the wood underneath. I got under the stand and nothing under the stand appears to be wet. The sides of the stand don't seem to be wet. It's not that much water though. This started a couple of days ago and was about the size of a footprint. I just assumed I had stepped in a puddle prior to coming inside. Now there's a large wet area. The water level in the tank does look suspiciously lower than it should be. I've put tape around where the water is now and dried up one spot (a nearly impossible task). What can I do to narrow down the source of this leak?

ODPILOT

AC Members
Nov 5, 2009
If you don't see the water coming out the sides, and it's coming coming out of any filter or filter pipes you may have -- then it's leaking from the bottom somewhere. I don't know if you can re seal with water still in the tank?? May want to ask a local aquarium store about it -- in the meantime, you might want to fill another tank or perhaps an unused bathtub with water, dechlorinate it - put your fish in it and drain your 75 Gallon tank and re seal it or buy a new one. Better hurry before you have Niagra Falls in your living room !!

Linda S

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Killeen, TX
Real Name
Linda Sholly
do you have HOB filters? well I suppose any filter could develope a leak but my aqua clear was leaking and soaked the towel all around my tank. I caught it before it got to the floor. I would check lines, hoses, cords and the bottom of any filters. HTH, linda

A. Nonymous

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
If you don't see the water coming out the sides, and it's coming coming out of any filter or filter pipes you may have -- then it's leaking from the bottom somewhere. I don't know if you can re seal with water still in the tank?? May want to ask a local aquarium store about it -- in the meantime, you might want to fill another tank or perhaps an unused bathtub with water, dechlorinate it - put your fish in it and drain your 75 Gallon tank and re seal it or buy a new one. Better hurry before you have Niagra Falls in your living room !!
All I've got is a hob on the back. It's not coming from there. I verified that already. I really hate to lose this tank. Hate it.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Well if you systematically work your way our from the tanks feeling the bottom inside cabinet sides, outside cabinet, hoses, wires, tanks sides corners and you find no water. Then there is not leak unless you added something and forgot you spilled water or someone in the house was playing around with the tanks or the cat jumped in and jumped out.

A leaking tanks is not hard to spot although the actual location of the crack or siphon (a small breach in the silicone) may be hard to find. Did the water smell like water? If the spot disappears then it wasn't the tank.

Steverd

AC Members
Sep 10, 2005
Spokane, WA
Do you have a DOG?

Maybe it's not water!!! :)

Steve

Eupterus

The one who takes a different path.
Jul 22, 2007
31 Spooner St. Quahog, RI.
Do you have another tank to move fish into?. A good way to find a leak is lay the tank out on something like towels. If this is a slow leak, it should show up very quickly where the leak is. At any rate, I suggest dismantling the tank for repair work if a leak is suspected.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
open top tank and 'splashy' fish in there could have caused the wet on the carpet??

pophead

back from the dead.
May 19, 2005
Edmonton, Ab. Canada.
check the filter again, I had an aquaclear HOB and it leaked intermittently.
it could be leaking closer to the top of the filter where it hangs on the tank, I've had that before, too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store