Help Me Pick a Dwarf Angel

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Catch23

AC Members
Dec 26, 2006
dwarf angel

I recently purchased a flame angel over the coral beauty and have not regretted it. I had the latter in a FO for many years and enjoyed it - but really wanted the intense color of the flame angel. Anyways, the flame has not touched my corals yet and doesn't seem to be interested...I hope it stays that way. Good luck.

Catch23

i_limantara

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Indonesia
well... i have bicolor angel.. and it's not touch any of my coral.. and it's said "GENERALLY SAFE, MAYBE NIT AT THE CORAL" * from marine center

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
The suspect list:
Coral Beauty Angel
Flame Angel
Lemonpeel Angel
Bicolor Angel

Which one of these would be best for my tank? In addition to activity and personality, I'm hoping for low aggression and coral compatability (plan to make this a future reef someday...).
Well what did you decide??? :D

I have a Flame and he's awesome. Super friendly, not afraid of me, not aggressive (put in my FOWLR over the reef as to avoid any possible coral nips). He eats flakes and frozen foods- still trying to get him to eat seaweed.

Since one of your choices is the Lemon Peel and I also see you eventually want a Tang, you may want to consider the Mimic Lemon Peel Tang (Acanthurus pyroferus). They get slightly larger but look almost identical to the Lemon Peel Angel and may be "safer" for your reef...besides the fact it's a Tang!

Let us know what you decide! Really like your pictures by the way- coming along nicely.

drobes

AC Members
Jan 23, 2007
Colorado
Well in short I decided to put off the decision for a bit and make the dwarf angel the last fish added to my tank. I've read some stuff on these guys being less likely to eat coral if they are introduced to a system with established coral rather than introduced to a system with just live rock and having coral added later. I don't have any coral in my tank yet so I'd like to get at least a few pieces in before I look at a dwarf angel.

Personally I think the lemonpeels are the sharpest looking with the flame angels a close second. I like the flame angels size a little better though and I also like the coral beauty. Have to say that those are my top 3. We've gotten some positive experiences with all of these fish posted in this thread, especially the flame angel it seems.

spinx

AC Members
Nov 6, 2006
Hi drobes. Im getting a 4 year- old-coral beauty as soon. The guy im buying it from, never had any problems with it in his reef. It is advised not to start out with a bi-color angel. they are a bit more fussy to acclimatization. Any how i would like to get a flame angel as well, But here in SA they cost the same as a clown trigger or a yellow tang ( roughly R 800 or $100):mad: Good luck though:)

drobes

AC Members
Jan 23, 2007
Colorado
Yeah that sounds like some price gouging there spinx. I think I'd be ordering online with LFS prices like that!

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
I think I'd be ordering online with LFS prices like that!
Haha, I would too. Actually I've been ordering more online nowadays than ever. With the shipping sometimes it's more expensive than my LFS...but with 7-14 day "arrive alive/stay alive" guarantees, it may save money in the long run. Also, at least compared to my LFS, there are so many different varieties and rare fish online.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store