Help me stock my 50g fish tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Boq

AC Members
Apr 9, 2013
Malaysia
Ditto to Byron. Also, what you want for the tank. Do you want all small tetras?? A mix of large and small fish?? A mix of large and small tetras??
Yes , sorry I forgot to mention about it. Still figuring what fish would be the best large fishes to mix with the tetras . Suggest please .

Boq

AC Members
Apr 9, 2013
Malaysia
I would probably suggest either neons or cardinals too, though not for any problem reason; I just think they look best separately. A group of 12-15 cardinals or neons would be nice.

Serpae Tetra (Hyphessobrycon eques) is something I would not suggest. A group of no less than 12 would fit your space, but this limits other options because Serpae are notorious for fin nipping slower fish. [BTW, the fin degeneration you see with this fish is not fin rot, but fin nipping; within the group they almost always do this.] A better choice which would still give you the nice reddish/mauve colour would be Rosy Tetra (Hyphessobrycon rosaceus) or Roberti Tetra (H. bentosi).

If you still want a "larger" fish, there are some options that fit here. In the gourami, consider the beautiful Pearl; a trio of one male and two females, or five with two males and three females. This is a larger gourami but one of the most peaceful. Males are territorial, so one or two in your planted 50g would be it, plus the females, and 3-4 females is better to ensure they are not pestered continually by the males. Another larger fish is the Bolivian Ram, which does well either singly (one fish) or in a bonded pair. This fish keeps more to the bottom though, so it would not be so obvious, unlike the pearls that are upper fish. If you get the pearls, the nipping issue becomes more crucial, but with enough in the groups the tetra so far named (other than the Serpae obviously) are OK.

Byron.
Thanks for the infos, Bolivian ram look nice. I will do research on it before buying it. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Boq

AC Members
Apr 9, 2013
Malaysia
I'm thinking of peaceful Cichlid and tetras. Any idea ?

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
One has to be careful with cichlids in a community tank. In relatively small spaces, one is basically restricted to a single fish or a pair (two males would need more room). And in pairs cichlids will spawn, guaranteed. Which is fine, except their parental protection of the eggs and fry can be problematic. I have experienced this every time I have maintained dwarf cichlids of varying species in a community tank. Corys for example usually take a beating, as they are on the substrate (which is where all dwarf cichlids spend their time, close to the substrate) and naturally poke their way everywhere. While pushes and nudgings may not inflict damage, sometimes the cichlid takes real exception and the corys can lose fins and such. So be careful. Subjecting any fish to deliberate stress just to please the aquarist is not responsible in my view.

Byron.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
One medium cichlid would be best, a pair will have issues with corys (as what Byron said).

IMO--I would add 3 Pearl Gouramis. 1 male and 2 females. They are faily large (but not overly so), stay close to the surface (will not bother corys), and are generally peaceful and pretty.

Boq

AC Members
Apr 9, 2013
Malaysia
Hello everyone !
Finished the cycling , added all my fishes that I bought.
11 - Neon Tetras
10 - Red nose tetra
6 - Bronze Cories
3 - Blue powder
4 - Otto (Which is I already had)
ikan.jpg
(Sorry for the background)

Thanks in advance, My fishes look happy, and the tetras are very nice schooling.

ikan.jpg

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica

Boq

AC Members
Apr 9, 2013
Malaysia