Help my betta is sick

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Something_fishy_in_here

Registered Member
Jul 13, 2015
He very obviously has fin rot. He definitely came to me with a mild case, and I had no idea that it was unnatural. It just looked like a bit of clamping on the dorsal, but most of the bettas in the store look like that. He developed a hole in his fin which started getting white growth on it. It looks like lime scale to me, and nothing like any of the pictures I've seen yet. Like when you have the white build up on your faucet, and there might be a little gray or brown in there. It's not fuzzy, it looks crusty. So I decided to put him in a hospital tank. At the moment, he's in a five gallon, and I've been doing fifty percent water changes every day. He's been getting salt, 1/2tsp per gallon as per the directions on the carton, and I was also dosing him with melafix and stress coat. These treatments helped with his clamping, but it didn't get rid of the white stuff, and now it is spreading. He has a spot on his dorsal, and another on his tail. I tried paraguard which didn't seem to be doing anything at all, but I probably didn't try it long enough. Now I'm on API fungal cure. The medicine is so heavy that I have an air stone running which is inhibiting his swimming since his fins are damaged, and mostly he is sitting at the bottom. He swims up when he finds an interest in something, but he can't maintain his swimming for long. Without the air stone, he's up at the top sucking in air. None of the other fish that are in his home tank seem to have been affected by this.
His home tank is a 15 gallon which is inhabited by him and 6 cories, and a few nerite snails. I did have 3 burmese border loaches housed in there temporarily while I was waiting for my big tank to cycle. They are still small, and never bothered Zucco though. The filter is a tetra whisper for up to 15 gallons. I know that's not enough, and I need a bigger one. I realized this when I got my aquaclears. PH is 7.8, and the tank is established for at least 6 months. I upgraded him from the tiny 3 gallon my sister gave to me with him around that time. I have live plants, driftwood, and just two tank decorations. I took some pics. Just having trouble getting the to the computer so I will upload them soon.

Blueiz

THE TypoQUEEN
Sep 5, 2005
NC
Bettas are Labyrinth fish, they can breathe air. You are probably seeing him do this when he swims to the top. If the air stone is causing him more stress, personally I would turn it off to reduce the stress. However if you think it's helping him leave it on. It sounds as though you are doing everything right, just follow the instructions on the meds that you are administering and keep up with the water changes. How old is he?

Something_fishy_in_here

Registered Member
Jul 13, 2015
And now that I've posted such large pictures, I've also noticed those black dots on his fins. Are those normal? I don't notice them when I'm just looking at him....

Something_fishy_in_here

Registered Member
Jul 13, 2015
Bettas are Labyrinth fish, they can breathe air. You are probably seeing him do this when he swims to the top. If the air stone is causing him more stress, personally I would turn it off to reduce the stress. However if you think it's helping him leave it on. It sounds as though you are doing everything right, just follow the instructions on the meds that you are administering and keep up with the water changes. How old is he?
I'm not sure how old he is. My sister gave him to me last summer because she was making a long road trip from Pennsylvania to Indiana, and she didn't want to risk losing him in the move.

Something_fishy_in_here

Registered Member
Jul 13, 2015
I have no idea if he's under more or less stress with the airstone. He swims around like a nut without it. I am aware that he breathes air, and that he's ok without the airstone in that respect, I just think the bubbles are making it a little easier on him. I should also mention that before I started salt treatment, when he first went into the hospital tank he was scratching himself on things like he was itchy. The salt fixed that by the following day however.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Black spots look normal. Best bet: complete one treatment before starting another. What's the temp like?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store