Help! My discus are looking weird, and I think they are sick! HELP!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
Thanks guys,

but one of the discus is pretty dead as of now..........:(:(:(:(:(:(

Well, it was the blue one, and it was getting sucked up by the filter, and tossed around the tank, and its eyes are very cloudy, it is still breathing but barely

I am removing it when I get home.:(

The rest are schooling, swimming around and eating fine. :)

=)

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
Actually, I tried to take him out while he was laying on the ground, and he started swimming blindly into the glass and DW. I think he/she can't see because his eyes are clouded and a milky white. And also, on the head area above the mouth there are 2 tiny reddish spots which none of my other fish have at all. I finally netted him with my hand and transfered him into a floating 3 way breeder so he won't be harassed or get his eyes pecked out. I hope he makes it but since he is suffering so much, he might be better off dead. I will check him out once I get home.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
And sorry, no pics yet, my mom took the camera again, or I would have taken pics ASAP.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Honestly, don't even bother trying to get a diagnosis...euthanasia is best, your tank is going to be messed up within hours if it dies when you're not home. With your assortment of bottom feeders, you can count on the body being cannibalized as well! When a fish looks like that, there is really no reason to keep it suffering. It's not coming back from that sorry state. A comet goldfish, a pleco...maybe, but discus are not that tough.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
So, should I dump it out? Or what? I have onl minutes before I leave? I am going to just leave it in the trap. No other fish can get in, and I am pretty sure it won't die, prob. almost dead, but still breathing, and swimmingish.

SickBum

AC Members
Mar 6, 2011
Didn't realize they were still sick. I'd really lower that water temp to 80-82, and maybe remove some stock. Even if you have all the bubbles in the world when water is hot it will only absorb so much oxygen. The salt and water changes will help a lot too.

At the risk of starting an argument, I say no to the salt, save it for your french fries. :) More air is a plus and can't hurt. Fish that are having difficulties breathing don't need salt, and it will interfere with some of the other meds you are ordering. .
But if you don't know what it is how can you get medicine for it? It's pretty obvious it's not columnaris or flukes, and advanced HITH looks exactly like the lines he posted, and medicine is useless against it because if conditions are right they will get it over and over again.

Also I'd not give it up as a lost cause so quickly.

SickBum

AC Members
Mar 6, 2011
Also, there's more to overstocking than ammonia levels, though I see the usual suspects harp on it all the time. Looking at your list of stuff you just have too much in that tank, and that is part of the reason for your problem.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Those discus are seriously sick and needed intervention days ago. There's no way they went from looking that bad to being ok in a day or two. And if they are in such a condition as to be getting stuck on the filter intake....death with will follow very soon, there's no hope. Discus are not a fish for a beginner. I doubt the other 5 will continue to live very long. Buying pet quality discus isn't a sin, it happens often and they can still live a normal life...if you know how to care for them properly. If they were healthy when you bought them and ended up looking like that in short time, something is seriously wrong with that tank. Even a stunted healthy discus isn't going to look like that for no reason. Very often when they are seriously ill, they attempt to eat.....actually go after a bit of food as if they are hungry, but don't eat. It's pretty amazing how long a sick discus can go without eating before starving to death. That tank is not a good discus environment, especially for growing juvies out nicely. I suggest you not replace the discus when they die until you learn more about them and their needs and can give them a proper tank.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Amen, Debbi!

You're 14, you have plenty of time for them later...save them for when you can keep them alone, or at least in their own well thought out setup with carefully chosen tankmates.

Focus on angelfish or other fish that are much more adaptable.

And Ritap, you don't just dump fish out when they're terminally sick...that's cruel. If they're still breathing, they need to be put down just like any pet: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/euthanasia.htm

You can get pure clove oil (Eugenol) from the pharmacy, they sell it for toothaches.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
Those discus are seriously sick and needed intervention days ago. There's no way they went from looking that bad to being ok in a day or two. And if they are in such a condition as to be getting stuck on the filter intake....death with will follow very soon, there's no hope. Discus are not a fish for a beginner. I doubt the other 5 will continue to live very long. Buying pet quality discus isn't a sin, it happens often and they can still live a normal life...if you know how to care for them properly. If they were healthy when you bought them and ended up looking like that in short time, something is seriously wrong with that tank. Even a stunted healthy discus isn't going to look like that for no reason. Very often when they are seriously ill, they attempt to eat.....actually go after a bit of food as if they are hungry, but don't eat. It's pretty amazing how long a sick discus can go without eating before starving to death. That tank is not a good discus environment, especially for growing juvies out nicely. I suggest you not replace the discus when they die until you learn more about them and their needs and can give them a proper tank.

Only the weak blue one got sucked up, none of the others did, I am not going to replace the discus. The discus I bid on aquabid 2 weeks ago are going to arrive next week, but I will sell it ASAP. I will also sell the others for super cheap, but tell the new buyers that these were sick a while back.

thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store