Help! MY FISH ARE DYING RIGHT NOW!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

icecubez189

User Registered!
Feb 15, 2006
Queens, New York
not too great, they float to the surface and my loach looks almost dead but swims sporadically, floats to the top as well.

as we speak, i am doing a 60-70% water change, one thing to note, when i stuck my pump into the water, my goldfish swam away really fast. when he did, he left a trail of the white wispy thing, some of it came off. the fins do look rotted as well.

thanks for the help so far guys, i might go get that Metafix unless i can really diagnose this problem and get the right treatment for it.

if not, i'll be asking what chemical i can use to kill the fish, not worth seeing them suffer like this.

TheZoo

Curiouser and curiouser!
Apr 12, 2006
melting in Houston, TX
icecubez189 said:
, when i stuck my pump into the water, my goldfish swam away really fast. when he did, he left a trail of the white wispy thing, some of it came off. the fins do look rotted as well..
Pretty sure its fin rot. Follow directions on melafix and they should be better quickly. Work on that first, then think about what to do *if* later. The loach may not make it :(

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
This sounds like it came on pretty quick..I would definately have the water checked..possibly from the source..
I found my nitrates spiked a bit..tested the water from the source(tap) and found the readings from the tap to be 10-20 ppm.

you mentioned this tank has been set up since Jan.?

it is possible that there is a bacterial fungus.

I saw this happen in a tank before..turned out something happened and the tank mini cycled.

icecubez189

User Registered!
Feb 15, 2006
Queens, New York
yes, i start on christmas day last year with the 2 comets and loach, a week later i got a smaller loach, and they have been living happily since then. then the little loach began to tilt over the side 3 days ago and looked like it was dying, but i didn't know why. everything when downhill today when i got back from school. It happened in less than 24 hours in fact. I fed them last night, everything was fine. at least it looked fine.

water change is just about complete by the way, and then i'll be out to get some metafix

TheZoo

Curiouser and curiouser!
Apr 12, 2006
melting in Houston, TX
when you add it, scoop out a bit of water, add it to that and then put it in near the filter return so it mixes more.

icecubez189

User Registered!
Feb 15, 2006
Queens, New York
thanks for the suggestions

i just went to PLD, and got a bottle of Melafix and Pimafix

in this case, should i continue to treat with both medicines until better or just a dose of both and see what happens?

also, should i put a dose of each medicine seperately or should i just add them into a container of the water and just dump them in? or does it not matter....

thanks

TheZoo

Curiouser and curiouser!
Apr 12, 2006
melting in Houston, TX
as long as you get the amount you need in, without dumping straigt into the tank, youre fine. Id treat once, see how it goes, then maybe treat again tomorrow, after a partial water change (20-30%).

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
icecube --

Keep doing water changes -- 50% every day if you can. The more the better with something like this. Add the Pima and Mela after every change.

If this were me I would be doing 50% 12 hours apart and adding Pima and Mela after each change. That's just me, however, and many will probably not agree with this saying that too much may stress the fish. It might, but you know your fish better than anyone. If you think they can handle multiple changes, I'd do it.

Also, check the readings on your tap water as soon as you can and post them.

Roan

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store