HELP!! MY FRY TANK IS OVER RUN WITH SNAILS!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gouramimommy125

AC Members
Nov 19, 2010
ok I read on here its good to put a snail or two in with your fry to help clean the tank.......well......now i have ALOT of baby snails.....i was thinking of getting clown loaches and putting them in the main tank and plucking all the snails out of the fry tank and put them in the main tank is that a good solution??????

tigi78840

AC Members
May 27, 2010
Del Rio,(AKA The Seventh Circle of Hell), Texas
Real Name
Tanya
Some people just smush them and feed them to whatever they fish they already have....I have green spotted puffers,so I just feed 'em to them, but I put mystery snails in my fry tanks(don't matter,lol, every tank I got except the gsp tank is overrun w/ snails, though...)I have a marbled cray that opens ramshorns up and eats 'em like pistachios(very fun to watch,lol)

katana1200

Unhealthy obsession?
Probably not the best idea to buy livestock to solve a problem, unless you're specifically setting up a home for clown loaches anyway. Though, clowns get quite big and prefer to be in groups. They're really not suited well to the average hobbyist.

If you'll be removing them manually anyway, just dispose of them properly. My excess ramshorns get tossed in with my Convict Cichlid. She takes care of them for me. The snails don't have a lifespan all that long. When your fry are grown and the food is not as plentiful, there wont be as many. Until then, maybe just marvel at how interesting they are. Plus, they're doing the job you initially put them in there for.

Optimus

AC Members
Aug 23, 2010
to take them out weight down a lettuce leaf overnight and in the morning most will be attached, feeding. Pick out the lettuce leaf and dispose, then repeat the process.

thebrandon

I like fish
Jan 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
You could be over feeding. That is usually when snail populations explode. Bladder snails are incredible at surviving even if you don't feed the tank. I had a 2.5 gallon set up with just plants and rocks. Really just to have something that looked nice with low maintenance. Some bladder snails sneaked their way in on some plants and lived there till I tore the tank down. The only thing I ever added to the tank was fertilizer, never once did I put food in, and they seemed to be doing just fine eating what ever it was they were eating.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Assassin snails maybe but I don't think you'll want an explosion of them either lol. Add various live plants and when you catch a bunch on them just rinse em off :)

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
Probably not the best idea to buy livestock to solve a problem
best answer in this thread.

just manually remove them, freeze them, then toss. a fry tank should be getting frequent (read: almost daily) water changes anyway, so removing snails is easy when the tank gets a lot of attention.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store