Help my Goldfish please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

How many times have you seen this?

• Sometimes

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Often

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters

Grand Titus

AC Members
Oct 1, 2009
Hi all
Thanks for the advice, I have gone and bought a proper test kit. The water parameters were completely unacceptable!!

Ammonia 0.26
Nitrite 0
nitrate 20
ph 7.7
PO4 1.5mg/Litre

I immediately tested my tap water quality, it seems that there is quite a bit of ammonia in the water 0.1, how would I get rid of this before i do my water changes?
No wonder the poor guy wasn't doing so well

Ive been doing 40% water changes for the past three days and adding Sera Nitrivec as well as sera phosvec along with the Myxazin, I have also put the temp up from 22 degrees C to 26 for the past 48 hours, im reducing the temp back to 22 slowly now
the water parameters are now:

Ammonia 0.1
Nitrite 0
nitrate 5
ph 6.9
PO4 0.25mg/Litre

My comet is really looking like he is on the mend, he has no clamped fins, his tail is defiately on the mend although I think its gonna take a couple of weeks the really heal properly and he is no longer lethargic.
Im in the process of having a 500litre tank made up, im also gonna setup a sump with bioballs, ceramic rings etc. and a 40Watt uv filter, went shopping yesterday, in the meantime ive just got to keep an eye on the water parameters and keep doing very regular water changes

Thanks again for all your help

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Keep up the water changes and be sure to add in a good quality water conditioner. The better ones detoxify the ammonia for a short amount of time until the biological filter can eat it up.

You'll need to keep him in very clean water for a while to make sure he's completely recovered. Then again water changes are generally cheaper than med's in most places :).

Grand Titus

AC Members
Oct 1, 2009
Thanks The V

My Commet is recovering well, how long should it take for my boy's tail to completely mend itself? Im doing water changes every second day(40%) and im keeping a close eye on the water parameters. Im using Tetra Aqua Safe, is there anything better on the market? Ive read the instructions and it does not appear to remove any ammonia!

Agian thanks to all who helped save my Fishie

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store