Help my goldfish!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LongTime

AC Members
May 10, 2004
Florissant, MO
Visit site
You do mix the clove oil and the vodka because the vodka helps the clove oil mix with the water.

This site says just use clove oil: http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/tom06.html

This site says mix 2 parts clove oil to 8 parts vodka and not to increase the vodka because it increases the suffering of the fish.
http://www.bettasrus.com/disease/euthanasia.htm
It also has a nice discussion on the various pros and cons of other methods.

Sorry for your loss.

:sad

MamaBarb

Still crazy after all these years
Oct 17, 2003
Southwest Ranches, FL
Visit site
Why not drink the vodka before doing the deed????

Anyway Momnatur - I had a longfin rosy barb once that had the symptons you describe - barely swimming on his side - spine bent like 60 degrees - not eating - and he also started losing his bright rosy color. I couldn't find anything on any forums that could explain this, so I just put him in a Q tank and started treating with Aquarisol and Melafix, and stopped feeding. In about 3 days, he started to straighten out a little, and I resumed light feeding. After about 10 days, he was fine and I put him back in the other tank.

He lived for about a year - and I had him for a few years before that.

You could try this, in combination with a broad spectrum antibiotic if you like. Otherwise, I agree - euthanasia is it.

momnatur

AC Members
Oct 8, 2003
Visit site
Okay. Even in the hanging tank insert, Monstro isn't able to feed--he can't swim up to the top. It looks like he isn't able to use his tail at all, which of course means he flaps like mad with his fins and doesn't get much of anywhere.

MamaBarb, do you think it's still possible to try the meds you mentioned, or does everyone think that euthanasia is still the best route for him?

What makes me crazy is that I can see my lively, happy fish is still in there, frustrated by his body's lack of response. One of my rabbits (my sweet China) and my grandmother both went through a similar torture, and I hate seeing it. But if he can get better ...

I have another question, about the other fish in the tank. Jaws (another comet) looks like she's pregnant, and I know golds aren't livebreeders. She's a little bulgy around the middle, so I'm freaking out thinking she has dropsy. But her eyes aren't bulgy at all, and she's behaving normally. Is she just a chunk?

Gah!

Andrea Z and the Z Zoo

Cearbhaill

Reads the Gribble Report
Mar 22, 2003
South Florida USA
Visit site
What makes me crazy is that I can see my lively, happy fish is still in there, frustrated by his body's lack of response.
Since you asked...

I've worked in the animal industry for over thirty years, and towards the end of life one of two things happens. Sometimes the mind goes to heck and the body remains fully functional for years- these animals can hang on indefinitely. As long as the keeper can meet their physical demands the animals themselves are fine- they haven't the brain cells to notice much of what is happening.

Conversely- the body can fail and you have a fully cognizant animal slowly suffering the decline of its physical self. These are the heartbreakers. My own opinion (and this differs greatly from individual to individual- no one can force ones beliefs upon another in these matters) is that if I have an animal that I love and cared for, gently releasing it from suffering is the last gift I am able to offer.

My sympathies- I have been there many times before. It's the down side of choosing to own animals.

momnatur

AC Members
Oct 8, 2003
Visit site
Toni, I totally agree, and I've faced this decision before with some of my other pets, including the dog I grew up with and my sweet China rabbit. It's excruciating, but I agree that it's part of being responsible for an animal you've agreed to care for.

I think Monstro is at that point. :sad

So, to euthanize one 3-inch fish, how much clove oil and how much vodka? I can buy clove oil at the local co-op in a 1/2 oz bottle or a 10ml bottle. Vodka I can get in the little "sample" bottles.

Andrea Z and the Z Zoo
(which, btw, includes (at the moment) four goldfish, two bettas, one clown pleco, five guinea pigs, four dogs, one cat, three rabbits, thirteen rats, and one husband ;) but as of Sunday it will have one less goldfish <:( and four African pygmy dormice)

LongTime

AC Members
May 10, 2004
Florissant, MO
Visit site
Originally posted by Cearbhaill
Pond Rx suggests 5 drops of clove oil per gallon to anesthetize, then freezing.
Alternatively, I found:
"The euthanasia recipe is 1 ml clove oil, 9 ml vodka. Mix this together and pour into 1 gallon of water."
Up the clove oil. Vodka is only to help the clove oil mix with the water. You don't want to put the fish in a strong alcohol solution. I would go with 2 ml clove to 8 mil vodka.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store