help needed, my flowerhorn has blood pooling in his eye (details below)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OxtailDog05

Registered Member
May 21, 2023
so on the 19th of may 2023, i turned the lights off on my 800L communal central american cichlid tank. (yes i have a male and female flower-horn in the tank and everything seemed perfect for the 8 months I've had it)(everything below 3 inches bar the male flower-horn which is 6 inches), i turned the light on the tank on the 20th and noticed he looked 'spooked' so i watched him for a bit and released his left eye was budging and his eye was around 1/3 obscured by blood. I've had cichlids scar their pupils before and had one that had had their eye removed (and the eye grew back) but i just want to know if its anything to worry about/ if there anything i can do to help him.

i have had fry from him and he looked after them for 1 month with the mother so ill be really sad to see him go if he get any worse.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Pop eye can be from an injury or bacteria. I'm not sure about the bloody eye, I haven't seen that. Clean water can help a lot! As much & as often as you can. I realize your tank is very large, do the best you can...

Do you have a smaller tank (like maybe a 55g 4ft) you could use to treat him in?...or at least it'd be easier to change water more often than your 800l.

What happened to the mother? Their fry? What other fish have you got in that big tank? Any new fish? Does it fight with another fish? I haven't kept flowerhorns but I assume they're like many other cichlids...only bigger...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store