Help needed to remove 0.25 of ammonia in discus tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bderick67

"need more tanks"
Feb 9, 2007
Wonderful Colorado
Hi,
I would use Prime but was under the impression that I might get "false" ammonia readings... Is that true???

Prime will detoxify the ammonia, but will not remove it. It will still show ammonia levels when testing.

Just a shot, have you tested you tap water after treating with "ultimate"?

angel68

AC Members
May 3, 2007
Prime will detoxify the ammonia, but will not remove it. It will still show ammonia levels when testing.

No, I tested before. Should I test it after?

angel68

AC Members
May 3, 2007

No, I tested it BEFORE. Should I test it after?

bderick67

"need more tanks"
Feb 9, 2007
Wonderful Colorado
No, I tested before. Should I test it after?
I was just trying to eliminate all the possiblities, should make sure your bottle of "Ultimate is not comtaminated and causing the ammonia levels.

I am assuming when you are cleaning your filters that you are rinsing the sponge in old tank water and taking care to rinse the Ehfisubstrat in the eheim only in old tank water to preserve the Beneficial bacteria.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
No, I tested it BEFORE. Should I test it after?
Yes. Water conditioners that remove chloramine are actually breaking the chlorine/ammonia bond which releases free ammonia to then be detoxified by the water conditioner. I'm not positive, but I don't think ammonia test kits can read ammonia levels while the ammonia is is still bound to the chlorine (chloramine).
The 'false' ammonia reading that is being referred to, is the detoxified ammonia.(ammonium/NH4) after this bond is broken and neutralized.
Toxic ammonia(NH3) is also changed into nontoxic ammonium(NH4) in water with an acidic pH. Ammonia is not nearly as toxic when the pH is well below 7.

angel68

AC Members
May 3, 2007
I was just trying to eliminate all the possiblities, should make sure your bottle of "Ultimate is not comtaminated and causing the ammonia levels.

I am assuming when you are cleaning your filters that you are rinsing the sponge in old tank water and taking care to rinse the Ehfisubstrat in the eheim only in old tank water to preserve the Beneficial bacteria.
Oh yes!
Thanks, though!

angel68

AC Members
May 3, 2007
Yes. Water conditioners that remove chloramine are actually breaking the chlorine/ammonia bond which releases free ammonia to then be detoxified by the water conditioner. I'm not positive, but I don't think ammonia test kits can read ammonia levels while the ammonia is is still bound to the chlorine (chloramine).
The 'false' ammonia reading that is being referred to, is the detoxified ammonia.(ammonium/NH4) after this bond is broken and neutralized.
Toxic ammonia(NH3) is also changed into nontoxic ammonium(NH4) in water with an acidic pH. Ammonia is not nearly as toxic when the pH is well below 7.
Hi,
What you are saying is very interesting. So, are you implying that I might be getting a false reading? My PH gets to 7 at most. So I know it's not such a big deal, but it's been like that for almost 2 weeks now....:wall::wall: Should I use a different conditioner? What would you do if you were me??????

Last edited:

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
FYI, the ammonia tests most reagent test, test for it TOTAL ammonia.

this is both NH3 and NH4 (ammonia and ammonium)
so yes unless your test is specifically for ammonia(NH3) you will get a reading of total ammonia including NH4.
prime breaks the chlorine /ammonia bond ...gets rid of the chlorine and bonds Hydrogen to the NH3 (ammonia) this creates NH4 (ammonium) which is less toxic than NH3.

the reading should go to ) shortly( a few hours) if the cycle is not affected and the bacteria are present to eliminate the ammonia..
if you are still getting a reading of .25 or higher after a few hours than you need to do water changes to compensate..the bacteria that consume ammonia will consume ammonium.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store