Help Oscar Is Sick!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Galaxie

AC Members
Feb 4, 2005
VA
Chile is on the advice team over at Oscarfish.com. He's a great source of information. :thm:

fish_mike

AC Members
Sep 19, 2005
thanks chile :D

fish_mike

AC Members
Sep 19, 2005
Lucretia said:
jeez ChileRelleno you must really like posting on this subject but i do have to agree with you & thats in your 1st post i also believe it is just scarring i have 2 oscars both around 9in atm & my red tiger has the same type of scrapes mainly attributed to a few scraps with its tankmate and when its a little to eager to get to the food & in his haste will scrape along a rock or what have you to get to it before my albino, i feed mine hikari gold and once a month i will give them some crickets & yabbies to dine on which can also leave a few marks on the fish if theyre not careful about how they hunt them.

hmmm.... i've never thought of that, he did have a little tussle with the arowana....over a goldfish, he had one in his mounth and the arowana grabbed him and the oscar was hanging out of his mouth...

nomadofthehills

AC Members
Apr 10, 2005
I'd say its HITH along with all your other fish beating him up. Other than you cat (which I don't know about), your oscar is the least aggressive fish in there.

ChileRelleno

500+ jumps-n-counting,SKYDIVE!
Feb 10, 2005
Mobile, AL
Fish Mike,
I invite you to post this same thread over at www.oscarfish.com I would like to see what my peers and mentors there have to say.

808_fairladyz

Hawaii Freshwater Aquaria Hobbiest
Nov 23, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
ChileRelleno said:
A adult O and a Pleco in a 55gal tank is unadviseable, a 55gal is suitable for a single adult O with no tankmates.
And furthermore tank maintenance would be more like twice per week with that bio-load in a 55gal.
The Magnum 350 is trash IMHO.
Carbon has no place in a healthy tank/filter, the only media needed is mech/bio, carbon is good for removing some meds, odors and water stains/tints such as tannins etc.
Carbon or more specifically, carbon dust is a suspected culprit in the onset of HITH/HLLE, this is contorversial though.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm still farely new at this whole Aquaria Hobbiest thing( 1.5 yrs and three tank sizes later) but i love it and still learning new skills. I'll go and revise my aquarium maintenance. I've actully been doing research on "How to build" your own aquarium and don't think that it'll be that difficult. I've been talking to a local shop owner who's been doing it for years and he's been a big help. My biggest problem though is lack of space so my projects will unfortunetly have to wait. I want the best for my Oscar being that she was the first so thanks for your advice and i'll be working on it.

808_fairladyz

Hawaii Freshwater Aquaria Hobbiest
Nov 23, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
Also, i'm sure that it's been asked countless of times, but what kinds of filtration do YOU recommend? I have the bio wheel set up and the mech. filtration issues somewhat covered, but if it's not enough, i'd greatly appreciate what ever advice you can give me.( Brand, media, diet, chemical/no chem., etc...) Thanx.

SUVTWO

AC Members
Dec 8, 2005
I would really listen to chile he is grate for advice hes is one of best oscar experts on oscarfish .com i have been a member 3 years he has never given bad advice nice to see you here chile .

ChileRelleno

Feb 10, 2005
Mobile, AL
Lucretia said:
jeez ChileRelleno you must really like posting on this subject.
I prefer to address each issue/post reply that perks my interest individually, I find it makes for easier reading and increases the chances of a direct reply and further discussion on the particular subject/topic involved.

It also increases post count ;)

ChileRelleno

Feb 10, 2005
Mobile, AL
808_fairladyz said:
Also, i'm sure that it's been asked countless of times, but what kinds of filtration do YOU recommend? I have the bio wheel set up and the mech. filtration issues somewhat covered, but if it's not enough, i'd greatly appreciate what ever advice you can give me.( Brand, media, diet, chemical/no chem., etc...) Thanx.
This discussion would involve hijacking Mikes thread and that would not be polite. If you care to start a thread pertaining to the topic of Oscar habitat filtration needs/recommendations I would be happy to input my ideas/$0.02.
You can PM me here or at www.oscarfish.com when you post the thread.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store