Help Sick Clown fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

angel626

AC Members
Apr 21, 2007
I am not certain that he has ick.Today he doesn't have any of the white spots. I want to continue to watch him before I do anything.

I feed them the New Spectrumax Finicky Fish Formula and it has garlic in it. My fish are not finicky eaters LFS just said that it was the best food in his opinion. I read that garlic can be used for mild cases of ick but they said that method really hasn't been proven widely.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
take a close look at your fish..look at fins, gill plates and closely at the skin.

sometimes the ich may appear mild so it may not be easily seen.

I had an out break several weeks ago..since then I have set up a 20 g qt/hospital tank..bb with filter, small powerhead and pvc pipes cut up fot cover,

run a spare sponge in the main tank..that way you keep a cycled sponge handy.

I used copper to treat an outbreak in my hospital tank.definitely get a copper test kit.

treatment and qt should last at minimum 4 weeks if there are no further outbreaks.

I feed garlic..the fish like it, it is suppose to help boost their immune system and petsmart had it on sale.$2 per bottle.

I bought it all..

my main tank is reef with soft corals and 130 # live rock..i am runniong a uv on it ..Have a tomini tang I could not catch that had ich..it's been over 6 weeks..he's healed and has not had an outbreak.

new fish are in qt and will stay there for 4 more weeks since they had an outbreak 2 weeks ago..

angel626

AC Members
Apr 21, 2007
Thank you for all the info and links to information. My fish looks better today than he did last night but he still has a few spots. I want to start setting up the QT tank tonight and then move them tomorrow depending on how he looks.

I read somewhere about putting the fish in plain fresh water for awhile and then putting them in the tank. Does anyone have any specific info on that and does it work?

I also have a lawnmower blenny and I worry if I put him in the QT tank he may starve. Would I just feed him Nori or can he stay in the tank?

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
I think you're referring to the freshwater dip. You use the the same water you would use for your main tank, but with no salt. You make sure your pH and temp are exactly the same. You put your fish in and if the fish tolerates it well then you can leave them in there a few minutes. If your fish doesn't tolerate it well and seems stessed after a couple of minutes then you can take them out.

The reason behind it is that freshwater dips can sometimes make external parasites fall off the fish, giving them more comfort. It doesn't cure it though. I assume you read that on WWM? They seem to promote freshwater dips often.

I've been through hypo, copper, freshwater dips, etc.- you name it. Hehe, none of them are fun but if it helps your fish then it's worth it to me.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
You'll want to QT all the fish and let the tank go fallow. Otherwise you're just giving the ich (if you do have ich) a host and you'll end up with this same problem again if not dead fish. Leave the LR and the inverts in the display tank.

angel626

AC Members
Apr 21, 2007
I found some really good info on http://www.marineaquariumadvice.com.
Here are thy symptoms of ich.

White spots about the size of a printed period or pinhead. This parasite is usually noticed on the skin and fins first and later the eyes
- Usually some, but not all, of the fish appear to be affected until the disease has progressed
- Increased mucus production
- Hyperactivity in early stages
- Scratching (flashing) on objects within the aquarium
- Shuddering or twitching
- Seeking shelter or hiding
- White spots that seem to disappear only to return several days later
- Increased respiration rate, except in early stages
- Cloudy eyes associated with secondary bacterial infection
- Faded colors
- Fin rot or other secondary bacterial infection in late stages
- Multi-focal, de-pigmented skin erosions
- Staying near the water surface or in areas of high water velocity
- Lack of appetite in advanced stages
- Dehydration and rapid weight loss in late stages

Thanks for all the help, I'm kinda disappointed that after only a few months I already have ich in my tank but I guess its a great opportunity to learn about this.

ricsreef

AC Members
Jun 22, 2007
Louisville,Ky
If you can get a UV sterilizer it will help with parasite control also,I keep one on my QT tank,And I place all new additions in there for a couple of weeks to keep an eye on them.You have to remember if it is a parasite the eggs are in your tank too,not just the fish is infected.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store