Help! Tiger barbs dying off suddenly and rapidly

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mark144

Registered Member
Apr 12, 2020
My daughter's tiger barbs suddenly started dying off. Although my pH and hardness is high in my source water, they have seemed happy and active up until the past four days. My other parameters have been more or less textbook perfect.

Four days ago, the smallest tiger barb stopped swimming with the others and retreated to the corner of the tank, where he stayed all day, not even attempting to eat. His breathing seemed faster than usual. Other than that, I didn't notice any other symptoms. I checked my water parameters to be sure, everything still looked fine. The next morning he was dead, sitting on the bottom of the tank, very pale.

The rest of the barbs seemed to be behaving more or less normally. I removed the body immediately, checked my parameters again did a ~20% water change. I dropped the water level of the tank slightly to give the filter a bit more aggressive oxygenation. Everything seemed fine and I couldn't find any explanation for the first death.

Yesterday, a second barb started showing the same symptoms as the first, hiding in the corner of the tank, not eating, and breathing rapidly. About an hour ago, I found him dead, stuck to the filter intake. A third barb is now showing symptoms. I just triple-checked my parameters and everything still looks great. I expect to lose him(her?) too, and I'm at a loss for what to do.

Please help!

Tank size: 20-gallon
Cycled: ~8 weeks ago
Occupants: Originally 5 tiger barbs, now 3, ~1 inch. Been in tank for 4 weeks. Purchased from PetSmart (I know, not my first choice either)
Live plants added ~3 weeks ago
Fluval AquaClear 30 HOB filter, spong
Water Parameters from API Freshwater Master Test Kit with expiration in 2024
pH: 8.2
ammonia: <0.25ppm
nitrite: 0ppm
nitrate: 5-10ppm
kH: 10-11dH
gH: 10-11dH
tank temp: 78F

Volume and Frequency of water changes: 10-15% weekly, normally. But I added a 20% change when I found the first death.

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: Fluval Aqua Clear filter for 10-30 gallons, sponge+active charcoal+biomedia. All filter media agitated in dirty water removed during water changes before being reinserted. Never washed nor rinsed in water containing chlorine, etc.

Heater

Tank receives natural sunlight 2-3 hours per day, and a bright Nicrew white/blue LED between 6 and 9 hours.

Tank inhabitants: Single species (Tiger Barbs)

Food: Tetramin Tropical Flakes, twice daily, very small amount, completely consumed within 1-2 minutes

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): Live plants ~three weeks ago

Exposure to chemicals: None

Photos of both dead fish, as well as the third fish showing symptoms attached. I also have video of the third fish's rapid breathing, but I don't think I can post a link to it since I just created my account.

IMG_20200412_132247.jpg

IMG_20200412_132129.jpg

IMG_20200412_132122.jpg

IMG_20200409_114432.jpg

IMG_20200412_132345.jpg

IMG_20200412_132238.jpg

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
I'm sorry for your loss! I don't see anything obviously wrong with your water parameters so maybe the fish were ill when you got them.

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
I'm sorry for your loss! I don't see anything obviously wrong with your water parameters so maybe the fish were ill when you got them.
Ammonia is 0.25 ppm. Deadly.
The barb died gasping for air, ammonia poisoning obviously.
And the tank is not cycled.
OP- I would recommend you doing partial water changes every two days.
Do a partial water change of 50% (half of tank water) today.
When you can, get Seachem's Prime, a water conditioner that will detoxify ammonia, nitrite and nitrate for 24 hours.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Ammonia should not be deadly at 0.25 ppm and depending on the water conditioner used it may be the less harmful ammonium.

The open mouths of the dead fish is common and not a sign that there was a lack of oxygen.

kingthedog

AC Members
Jan 16, 2020
Ammonia should not be deadly at 0.25 ppm and depending on the water conditioner used it may be the less harmful ammonium.

The open mouths of the dead fish is common and not a sign that there was a lack of oxygen.
I agree

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
His ammonia is not .25 ppm. It is listed as <.25. I wouldn't even consider .25 as deadly, not ideal, but not deadly.

He states the tank is cycled...OP, how did you cycle the tank?

I'd say it is the quality of the fish. The gills would be red if an O2 issue or severe ammonia problem.

Reactions: dudley and Sprinkle

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
His ammonia is not .25 ppm. It is listed as <.25. I wouldn't even consider .25 as deadly, not ideal, but not deadly.

I'd say it is the quality of the fish. The gills would be red if an O2 issue or severe ammonia problem.
Oh, OK. I get it now. I am dumb so that's why I said it's deadly ?
It might be the quality of the fish. I agree.

kingthedog

AC Members
Jan 16, 2020

+1

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store