Help! Weird Thing Killing Fish!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Alec2cool

AC Members
Feb 18, 2010
Central Indiana
Real Name
Alec
Ive had all sorts of differant fish (So have my dad and uncle) and i've found that pH is NEVER an issue as long as its constant. It doesnt matter if its high or low pH, they zip around all the same, but if that pH doesnt stay the same, then thers some SERIOUS problems. Ive never had pH problems although my dad does. Ive cleaned out the fungus, and i also found a dead baby neon. I had my father come over to test my water with his water kits. I have 20 Nitrate and .5 Nitrite. He told me im on the safe side for now (but then thats probably because i had just cleaned it 2 hours before he arrived.) He is going to come back in the next few days to test it again. He thinks my bulldog pleco died from choking on the shrimp he was eating, because all my ghost shrimp are just gone in a matter of a couple days. The angel may have died from being a new resident, he was only about 3 days in the tank. Thanks for helping me everyone, i apologize for "losing it" earlier in this thread and i really appreciate the fact that everyone still remained so helpful despite my rudeness. Thanks ^_^

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
.5 ppm NO2 is never safe...anything over 0 ppm means something is off...did you check ammonia? I would be worried about a spike from the dead fish, although at this point it may not matter.

Keep monitoring your ammonia and nitrite and do water changes whenever something pops up. Hopefully everything stabilizes soon.

Going along with that I highly recommend getting a liquid test kit of your own.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
.5 ppm NO2 is never safe...anything over 0 ppm means something is off...did you check ammonia? I would be worried about a spike from the dead fish, although at this point it may not matter.

Keep monitoring your ammonia and nitrite and do water changes whenever something pops up. Hopefully everything stabilizes soon.

Going along with that I highly recommend getting a liquid test kit of your own.
+1. $19 on Amazon right now.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
here ya go... make yourself one of these things or get a python and water change away for a little bit... http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=16710

do w/c's religiously up to 24hours before your dad comes over. when he comes over twice in a row and ammo and trites test at 0, then continue your routine as normal again.

Alec2cool

AC Members
Feb 18, 2010
Central Indiana
Real Name
Alec
Wait wait, are you guys messing with me or something? Earlier in this thread ur saying 0 was bad???? I think im gonna stick to listening to my father, listening to you guys gets me too confused.

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Hi Alec
Normally a high pH isn't a problem EXCEPT when there's any ammonia. The higher the pH, the more toxic ammonia is. Even a small amount is enough to kill your fish.

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
I agree with what people here have been saying. Nitrates at 0 is not a cycled tank. And a tiny dead fish can cause an ammonia spike. Furthermore, my plecos have never touched any of my shrimp. Both plecos and shrimp love algae. What were your shrimp and pleco eating, were you giving them any kind of sinking algae wafers? They could have died as a result of not having enough appropriate food, or from high ammonia. I highly doubt your pleco died from choking on shrimp which your father believes. LOL. Also, "cleaning" your tank once a month is not a good idea, you should be doing weekly gravel vacuumings and partial water changes. Please explain to us what you mean by "cleaning". If by chance you were doing a complete and total water change once a month, you were throwing out all your good bacteria and starting your cycling over again, which would explain the 0 nitrate reading. You still have not told us what your ammonia level is which is EXTREMELY important, I am betting your ammonia level was quite high due to infrequent water changes and dead fish...but what do I know, I've only had fish for over 40 years....hopefully you can get this sorted out before you lose any more fish. :)

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
Wait wait, are you guys messing with me or something? Earlier in this thread ur saying 0 was bad???? I think im gonna stick to listening to my father, listening to you guys gets me too confused.
0 ammonia = good
0 nitrites = good
0 nitrates = bad

on the flip side

nitrates through the roof (triple digits) is said/thought to be bad
any nitrites at all = very bad
any ammonia at all = very bad

i agree... sound advice all around... except... beneficial bacteria grow on surfaces, not "in water". the more water changes the better...

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
i agree... sound advice all around... except... beneficial bacteria grow on surfaces, not "in water". the more water changes the better...
As long as people aren't cleaning out the gravel, too. I knew someone once that considered a thorough cleaning to be emptying the tank of water, as well as all the gravel and rinsing the whole thing clean, like new. Not good, especially if they also choose that time to change filters. That's why I was wondering just what the OP meant by cleaning. If the OP's nitrates are zero, there is a problem somewhere.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store