HELP!!! Whats wrong with my NEW Discus?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kurtr12

AC Members
Feb 3, 2007
Get your temperature into the mid 80's F and then do daily water changes for about a week to see if anything improves. This amount of water changes isn't ideal for planted tanks, but you have take care of the discus. It looks like you didn't do much research on discus before your purchase, head over to simplydiscus.com and read the discus for beginners forum. Also, never try to chemically alter your ph, it isn't worth it and most of the time doesn't work, it will end up stressing your discus more than anything.

J [dot] L

AC Members
Aug 2, 2007
Update...

My Discus is actually eating blood worms now, and also the colour has gone much brighter.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Good news to hear! He's starting to settle in. Take good care of him now. They are wonderful fish!

Debbi:)

J [dot] L

AC Members
Aug 2, 2007
Another update...

His colours has gone much brighter now...here are some pictures...Sorry about the picture quality.

IMG_1044.jpg IMG_1045.jpg IMG_1046.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2002
New York
I would strongly suggest one of two courses of action. Either move the discus to their own tank or return them.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Just for comparison, this is what a healthy red turq should look like. The pic was taken an hout after the discus went into the tank after a 2.5 hour drive home.

J [dot] L

AC Members
Aug 2, 2007
but my discus did get better than it was though.
Also, i didnt know what the discus actually looked like, because i ordered it online and i didnt have a choice to choose, also, my discus could have suffered from more stress as when the driver started the delivery, it was one day before i got it, so it could have made the discus worse?

What would a blue turq look like, as mines not a red turq.

thanks
Jonathan

duneenworywifit

AC Members
Jul 23, 2007
the big rocks in your tank,are they lime stone.that will mess with your ph.Trace elements are a must,do you have?another thing to look into is a vortex diatom filter,i use it after every water change.parasites may also be a problem aswell,good luck to you ,these are not the easiest fish to raise.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store