Help with plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wantokeeptrout

AC Members
Jan 7, 2012
Oakville
should have mentioned this earlier but i do have a co2 system so hopefully the fluval substrate will be enough

also i've heard from a friend with a 1 gallon planted tank that by using the light in 2-3 hour intervals plants will grow but not algae, is this true?

xUnRaTeDxxRkOx

AC Members
May 12, 2012
Denver, Colorado
www.FaceBook.com
Real Name
Mike R.
I personally don't believe that lighting for 2-3 hours, then shut them off, then back on would do anything but stress the inhabitants out. Now, by going with lets say a 75 gallon tank with 2 individual T5HO double bulb fixtures, if you were to have a mixture of bulbs, lets say 1x5000k+1x6500k in one fixture, and 8000k+10000k bulbs in the other fixture, and going with a daytime lighting interval like, 5000k+67000k fixture turns on at 8am, then the 8000k+10000k fixture turns on at 12pm noon, then the 8000k+10000k fixture turns off at 3pm, leaving the 5000k+6500k fixture finally shutting off at 5pm.

Then this type of lighting regiment would have morning lighting, then a afternoon mid day lighting bust with both fixtures, then ending the day with the normal lighting, this would help the plants grow in nice, healthy, and beautiful.

The best way to avoid any algae within a tank, is to keep up with routine tank maintenance, and have a steady flow of Co2.

wantokeeptrout

AC Members
Jan 7, 2012
Oakville
thank you for all your help everyone, i got some fluval substrate and now the plants are doing much better, got some new ones that have flourished and the fish love it, especially the new arrival

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store