Help with plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

candi

AC Members
Feb 17, 2007
I'm planning on getting my first freshwater aquarium soon but I have no idea on what type of live plants to get, I'm probably going to be getting the Interpet AQ3 60cm Aquarium. Can I put any type of plants in there or only certain types?

Thanks!

Ketso

Cityfied Redneck
Jan 26, 2007
Peebles, Ohio
Live plants require certain amounts of the right kind of lighting to grow. If your aaquarium comes with a standard light hood and bulb, you wont be able to grow much. You can upgrade your lighting if you want. If your wallet is thick there arent many plants you cant grow. However, the higher (not price) the lighting, the more effort and money you will usually have to put into it. High light plants tend to grow fast requiring regular trimming and Co2 injection.

A low to medium light setup isnt too pricey. Shouldnt "require" Co2 and shouldnt be too difficult or time consuming to maintain. This is the route I am taking at the moment for my first tank.

candi

AC Members
Feb 17, 2007
So the two 15 watt fluorescent lamps in the tank wouldn't be enough then? I don't fancy having to buy another hood and lights as I wanted to get everything in one.

ergo sum

AC Members
Mar 15, 2005
Do you know what bulbs come with that tank? Looks to me like you could grow all kinds of plants in that set up.

ergo sum

AC Members
Mar 15, 2005
I can’t really tell what the lights are. It says they are 15w compact fluorescent. If they are and there are two of them you would have around 2w/g. That is enough light to grow a lot of plants in.

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
Great, thanks! Are any type of plants ok?

Yep, pretty much. Except non-aquatic plants sold at aquatic. Mondo grass is a common non-aquatic plant sold as aquatic. Also, with 2wpg slower growing plants, such as some types of anubias, may have trouble with algae.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store