Help with stocking freshwater tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SomeBirdy

Registered Member
Jun 6, 2017
Hi! Later in the year i plan to get a 75 gallon planted freshwater tank and was trying to plan everything out sooner rather than later.
I'm new to the aquarium hobby but have had some fish growing up. Back then of course i was too young to know any better and my parents most likely didn't do the proper research to care for fish so they never lasted long. Mistakes happen, but now i'm super interested in getting into the hobby and am currently pouring many hours into research to make sure things are done right this time around! Which is why i'm here, i need advice on whether the fish i have picked out are compatible enough with one another and if the numbers i've decided for each species are good as well.

My initial plan was to stock 3-4 marbled angels, 1 german blue ram, 3 diamond tetras, 2 painted swordtails, and 5-8 harlequin rasbora, some snails and the two i'm not too sure about are the kuhli loach and grass shrimp.

I determined the numbers based on their sizes, but i'm not sure if i'm overshooting it, or if i have room for more. I'm fairly certain that these fish will do well together, but i hear conflicting things about loaches and shrimp, some places say they will be fine, while others say the angels will eat the shrimp. Of course i don't want that to happen, i love shrimp and would love to add them in if possible. But if these shrimp would cause an issue, are there any other clean up crew alternatives i could go with instead? What order should the fish be introduced to the tank? And I also would like to know if these numbers are looking ok, or if you guys have any suggestions on how i should change it if need be.

Thanks!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I think the Ram will not be able to compete enough with the others for enough food.
I would also up the Diamond tetras to about 8+, they do better in schools.
IMO, shrimp and any fishes do not mix.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I agree with tanker, I wouldn't do the ram with that mix and the tetras will be much happier in a larger group.

As for the kuhlis and shrimp, yes they will eat them. But only the smallest of them. I'd be more concerned with the angels eating them than the kuhlis. However, I think 6-8 kuhlis would be a wonderful addition to this tank. But I love loaches, so I'm a little bias.

SomeBirdy

Registered Member
Jun 6, 2017
I think the Ram will not be able to compete enough with the others for enough food.
I would also up the Diamond tetras to about 8+, they do better in schools.
IMO, shrimp and any fishes do not mix.
I agree with tanker, I wouldn't do the ram with that mix and the tetras will be much happier in a larger group.

As for the kuhlis and shrimp, yes they will eat them. But only the smallest of them. I'd be more concerned with the angels eating them than the kuhlis. However, I think 6-8 kuhlis would be a wonderful addition to this tank. But I love loaches, so I'm a little bias.
Thanks for the input! Shame about the ram, but that's alright. Is there another brightly colored fish that is roughly the same size that would do well in this tank?

I'll also keep that in mind about the tetras, the thing i'm worried about most would be overstocking, but i keep forgetting that i have a lot of room to work with here, haha.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store