Help with Tank and Neon Tetras please!?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MJaz

AC Members
Aug 23, 2016
Hi,
I could really use your insight! So we are brand new to this and we know we've made some mistakes. We're learning and the number one thing we've learned is don't trust the advice of the people at Petco :/ We've been set up for about 2 weeks. We let the tank cycle without fish for about 5 days.

We have a Fluval Spec 5 gallon with 6 small neon tetras and some live plants. We now know we probably should have started with a different fish and that this tank is small...but...here we are...we can't change that at the moment! We added a heater.

Issues I'm concerned about and need help with -
-Ammonia. Seems no matter what we do, the minute we get the ammonia level down through a water change, it goes back up the next day. It's up to 2 right now. Why is this happening? Just b/c tank is new?

-Filtration. I wonder if the ammonia issue is a filtration issue as it seems there is a lot of junk on the floor of the tank. I *think* it's mostly uneaten food that sort of sits and gels, if that makes sense? Why isn't a filter picking this stuff up?

-The fish tend to swim in the bottom 1/3 of the tank and sort of look like they are swimming against a current. The filter output is on low. I tried placing a bit of filter sponge in the nozel to slow it down, but then removed it as I was worried maybe I was creating a filtration problem?

HELP???

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
We've been set up for about 2 weeks. We let the tank cycle without fish for about 5 days
The first issue I see, is unless you added a source of waste, basically all you were doing was running water through your aquarium and filter. This won't cycle the tank, unfortunately most big box employees are not taught this correctly and tend to pass on this bad info. I suggest doing some reading on cycling (I post a different link each time I just realized, but I just read this one and I kind of like it) http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm but also read the sticky here on AC http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/threads/freshwater-cycling.84598/ Trust me, it will help a lot if you understand why just running water for X amount of time doesn't cycle the tank.

Fluval Spec 5 gallon with 6 small neon tetras and some live plants
You're right in thinking the tank is too small. Its over stocked, which is part of what is leading to your next problem. The live plants will help some, but I would upgrade if you can.

Ammonia. Seems no matter what we do, the minute we get the ammonia level down through a water change, it goes back up the next day. It's up to 2 right now. Why is this happening? Just b/c tank is new?
See above, but also how much water are you changing? How much are you feeding?

*think* it's mostly uneaten food that sort of sits and gels, if that makes sense? Why isn't a filter picking this stuff up?
Some detritus ("junk") is too heavy to free float in the water, it will sink which means the filter won't pick it up. I'd say this is likely your ammonia source, anything organic that breaks down produces ammonia. You could use a gravel vacuum to remove it, or a turkey baster as your tank is fairly small.

swim in the bottom 1/3 of the tank and sort of look like they are swimming against a current.
I wouldn't worry too much about this to be honest. The output of the filter isn't too strong for healthy fish.

Reactions: myswtsins

MJaz

AC Members
Aug 23, 2016
Thank you so much for your quick response. I'm a little stressed about our new fish friends here! :) I'm not sure how to "re-do" the cycling now that we have fish...? The fish "expert" at the pet store told us to let the tank run for 24 hours. Bah. I'm never going back!

It's hard to imagine the tank is overstocked...I know people say it is, but it seems like they take up so little room! We spent $150 to set up this tank, which was a gift for my sons. I'm not ready to commit to buying something bigger! :(

I am changing 30% of the water almost every other day. Is the ammonia high b/c it's new?? I am feeding them a tiny bit (a pinch) in the morning and in the evening.

I have used a gravel vac to suck up the stuff at the bottom, but it takes so much water out so quickly :/ And I feel like I'd have to do it every few days to keep the tank clean. Is that normal?

Thank you!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I do not think your tank is "over-stocked", but it is not cycled. Your tank will finish the cycle soon, but during that time you must keep up the almost daily WC.
Yes, the ammonia is high because the tank is new. You are doing OK, but you must keep up with the WC. With such a small tank, you really do not need to "gravel Vac" every day., maybe only once every week or 2, and then I would only do one side at a time. Which water conditioner are you using? I would "double does" the water conditioner till your cycle finishes.

MJaz

AC Members
Aug 23, 2016
Thank you both. So yesterday's ammonia level was 2.0. I cleaned out the tank with a gravel vacuum and did a 30% water change. I used Prime conditioner. Today we found a tetra dead. Ammonia is 1.0. Other tetras are hiding/hanging out toward the bottom. I'm worries. Do I do another WC?

Thank you!
Melinda

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Yes, you need to get the ammonia down to .25 or less.

MJaz

AC Members
Aug 23, 2016
I did a 30% water change this morning. Ammonia still at 1. I don't get it. The tank is crystal clean. What's causing the ammonia!?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
fish waste and uneaten food will cause ammonia, or anything decaying in the tank too.

feeding less will help, getting the junk out of the bottom of the tank will help.

just keep monitoring the ammonia (and nitrite and nitrate) levels in the tank, and use that as a guide to changing water.

I don't think you are overstocked, but you are close, so the ammount of ammonia produced will be higher, hence the levels you keep seeing, feeding less and removing anything that will rot from the tank will be the key to this.

Test your water from the tap, be sure to use a dechlorinator too.

cycling generally takes ~6 weeks, be prepared for lots of water changes for that time.

MJaz

AC Members
Aug 23, 2016
There is next to no junk in the tank. Totally cleaned out. Could it be the plants? But I wonder why we lost a fish...? Thoughts? I have tested the tap water - which appears OK. And we are using Prime as a conditioner. So change it every day? You don't think the daily water changes affected the health of the fish that died? We have 5 tetras now - leave it at 5 so the tank is less stocked or add our 6th guy back to allow them to school? Thank you for your help with all these questions!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
the amount of beneficial bacteria will double in a day or 2... so once built up, it will do pretty well.

but until then, the way to keep ammonia and nitrite levels down will be to change water and lower feedings.

if the plat(s) were dying, that might have an impact too, so any problematic leaves you should pull off so they don't affect the water.

change the water as often as needed, or more. If the fish get used to big water changes (be sure to match temperature as you can, if you are filling quickly) there won't be a negative effect.

I'll say that ammonia would be the likely cause for the fish that died, and probably the rest too; changing water is really the best help you can give them, don't worry about changing too much, worry about changing too little.

If you can get someone local and trusted to squeeze mulm from old filter media, it may seem gross, but is an awesome and easy way to build up beneficial bacteria.

good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store