Herbert the toad meets an Axolotl

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PunkMartyr

AC Members
Dec 23, 2002
Stroudsburg, PA
Visit site
Originally posted by OrionGirl
There is not scientific difference between a toad and a frog. These terms are common reference to amphibians, and generally, toads are primarily terrestrial as adults while frogs are primarily aquatic, but this is a vagary of the language, rather than a biologically based separation.

A 5.5 gallon tank won't be adequate for a bullfrog, nor for the axolotl. They need at least 10 gallon, prefreably of water. The true ones will remain in their juvenile form their entire life, if not prodded into morphing into the adult form.
I disagree. I visited numerous websites that said a 5.5 is good enough for one, and a 10 could support two. This is of course with proper filtration, substrate, cleaning, etc. Regardless if it did appear cramped I have a 20 gallon lying around.

There are issues with getting good filtration in such a small tank though. I will have a submersible filter but it could be difficult to set one up in it. Also I use just a bucket and tube for cleaning so getting it to start suctioning will be hard.

Also I am aware of the tiger axolotl but thanks for the warning

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
Other word than Axolotl

Chocolate.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
I'm not sure that a creature which can be 4-6" (and may be larger because of neotenism which seems to run in the Ambystomidae) could be comfortable in a 5.5 g, as it seems like turning around might be a chore.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Oh, and since "true" Axolotls are protected by CITES, you will likely be getting a Tiger Salamander from the U.S.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store