Here is my 29 gallon acrylic plant tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, yoyos "should" get to at least 4 inches in a year & up to 5-6" eventually, not at all slow growers. What kind of snails? Many smaller loaches (sids & striatas) can handle pond (bladder) & ramshorns & are "loach candy" for many species. Sids & zebras can eat both, but may need a few crushed snails to get the idea, both are easily "smooshed" against the glass so they get the idea. It's when you get to MTS (trumpet snail control) that the smaller loaches may not be able to eat them IME. MTS have a trap door covering that smaller loaches can't open. There's always the "bait & remove" with romaine or zucchini for all snails...& many loaches love those veggies, too.

Sids & zebras were always plant safe for me unlike their bigger bretheren..with regard to swords & crypts especially, U-shaped holes are signs of loachy damage...feeding romaine & zucchini vastly reduced plant damage...plus snail snacks...looks like a balanced diet to me, lol...veg & protein.

Back on my bandwagon, loaches are very social, get more or rehome them!!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Snail populations shouldn't become a problem if you do not over feed and keep plant debris to a minimum. Now in reality I know that's not always how things go for us. Assassin snails are an option too. Good at eating MTS and rams and reproduce quite slowly so it's not likely that you will get an assassin snail problem to replace your pest snail problem. Plus they are far more valuable, could always sell any extras down the line.

Reactions: fishorama
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store