Hermit Crab bothering toadstool leather

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jagr200

AC Members
Oct 3, 2007
America
Agreed. I have two hermits that are just as peaceful as can be. I've got my eye on my emerald crab though....;)
Ya I saw some emerald crabs at my LFS today and they looked like they would just raise hell. Are they reef safe or should you stay away from them?

What about Sally Lightfoot Crabs? Are they reef safe? I would assume so because my LFS had 2 in there huge reef tank but they cant sell them because they cant catch them. They are ordering more that will go in a tank where they can be caught though. Thanks

BeelzeBob

-CHAUVINIST PIG-
Mar 18, 2006
Boulder, Co.
Comes from watching them kill your other inverts for sport.
:tombstone: :tombstone: :tombstone: :tombstone: :tombstone: :tombstone: :tombstone:

bane got lil hermit decals goin up the side of his tank WW2 fighter pilot style:headbang2:

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
In the discussion of my possible cleaning crew I later on had removed any ideas on having any hermits at all. And it matters not that I no plans for any leather corals and after reading something as this, I'm rather glad that I read up on anything to do with hermit crabs prior to personally having them.

HAVE A HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE

Buddy

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
Comes from watching them kill your other inverts for sport.

I see what you mean here, they do occasionally go for snails, as well as other hermits... but personally i dont mind that much. I use all black footed turbo snails (well a few ceriths) that they dont seem to bother... i dont know if they are too big or what the deal is, but they seem to pretty much stay away.

IME if you have enough hermit crabs they keep the fighting for shells between themselves, especially if you have different sized ones. I dont mind replenishing me hermit crab population either though, as i get them directly from a wholesaler in the Caribbean that gives me scarlets for 75 cents and dwarf blue/red legs for 15 cents a piece.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I see what you mean here, they do occasionally go for snails, as well as other hermits... but personally i dont mind that much. I use all black footed turbo snails (well a few ceriths) that they dont seem to bother... i dont know if they are too big or what the deal is, but they seem to pretty much stay away.

IME if you have enough hermit crabs they keep the fighting for shells between themselves, especially if you have different sized ones. I dont mind replenishing me hermit crab population either though, as i get them directly from a wholesaler in the Caribbean that gives me scarlets for 75 cents and dwarf blue/red legs for 15 cents a piece.
Mine never took the shells of the snails they'd go after, they'd simply kill the snail, get back in their own shell and then move on to the next poor little turbo. Two of the ones they killed were black foots. Luckily the others were cleaning (or hiding) on the glass versus the rock.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store