heterophylly: leaves above and below water

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lesley

AC Members
Dec 18, 2002
Sacramento/Davis, California
Visit site
I'm looking for a plant to use for a Botany lab demo which shows heterophylly, a distinct difference in the appearance of the above- and below-water leaves. The classical example is Myriophyllum heterophyllum, but I have a feeling that that one might not be as hardy in a tank as some other plants may be. Does anyone know of an easy to grow, easy to get plant that has different submerged/emersed leaves?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
Marselia quadrifolia - there's even been some (old) papers on how to induce the 2 forms by manipulating light...(in M. vestita) - John J. Gaudet, Dept. Botany, U.C. Berkeley

M. quadrifolia is a 4 leafed clover emergent, looks more like M. minuta if immersed deep enough.

Bacopa leaves & other species show differences too, but they're more subtle.

Quartermain

From the deepest darkest abyss
Jan 10, 2005
I was thinking that Hygrophila difformis might be also be good chioice. It is very hardy and easy to grow, will not drop its submersed leaves when growing above the surface, and is very highly differentiated morphology between submersed and emersed growth.

soobie

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
eastern oregon, USA
Real Name
Sue
Waterlilies- Nymphaea sp.

lesley

AC Members
Dec 18, 2002
Visit site
Thank you all for your suggestions. I liked the Marsilea or Nymphaea myself, but my collaborators want something more um... stemmy, to show the changes along a single axis. The Hygro is a good idea. I'll check my LFS.

THANKS!

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
Why not come out to aquatic weed lab at UC Davis?
We have several species you can use.

I have some Pondweeds, Myriophyllum aquaticum, Echinodorus etc.
I can give you the Myrio or some pondweeds.

If you want someone that did their dissertation on heterophylly in aquatic plants right here, Dr Tom Goliber here at UCD.

Almost every angiosperm plant exhibits heterophylly..........cotoylendens etc......

A good book on the topic: Sculthorpe's The Biology of Aquatic Vascular Plants, I think there is a copy in the UCD library.
It's out of print I believe but folks can still find it.

Sagitteria is another, I have some submersed form plants at the lab and some good pics of both types. Those and the Sword plants are from/collected from the San Joaquin River near HYW 99 a few miles from Fesno.

Regards,
Tom Barr

lesley

AC Members
Dec 18, 2002
Visit site
Plantbrain,

Ha! That's kind of funny. Tom Goliber is my supervisor, and the one who was asking me to look for plants. I know he had tried to get in touch with Lars Anderson, but didn't get a response, and he didn't know who else to contact at the weed lab.

I found some Hygrophila difformis and it has the features that we were looking for, stem plant, heterophyllic leaves along a single axis. So now it's just a question of whether it will grow well enough under the conditions that we are able to provide.

If it doesn't work out, I might try to get in touch with you again.

Thanks!
Lesley

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
I have some parrot's feather, a weed, growing out there right now if you want some. It's plenty hardy, more so than the Hygrophila.

Stop by. I can leave a bag for you.
H. difformis is easy and should present no issues for growth or the two types.
Go with that if it works.

Adding CO2 will increase the rate of submersed growth about 10-20X.
DIY CO2 works well in small submersed cultures.

I think anatomical differences are a good thing to look at also, the cuticle, stomata, lacunae, drupes, raphids etc, lack of root hairs in water column root formation etc

Regards,
Tom Barr

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store