Hi! Joined to get help - lump on tail

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

amzhydro

Registered Member
Jun 9, 2017
I have two beautiful goldfish, Sushi and Mr. Orange, just comets I got a Petsmart. I've had them for a while now and they're huge. They're in a 10 gallon tank that has had some trouble with algae. They have a 20-30 gallon Aqueon filter and I do gravel vaccum half-water changes once or twice a month. There's a Amazon Sword plant in there that they snack on, and one mystery snail.

Mr. Orange has a bump on his tail. He looks healthy other than that, is eating, swimming fine, no weirdness or other symptoms. Sushi (the white and orange one) has no symptoms. Anyone know what this is, or if it's dangerous?

IMG_2177.JPG

IMG_2167.JPG

IMG_2178.JPG

IMG_2181.JPG

IMG_2161.JPG

Reactions: SantaMonicaHelp

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Welcome to AC!

It doesn't look like anything of concern to me. However, I am concerned with the size of your tank and your cleaning schedule for such large fish. Have you ever checked the nitrates? A tank that size with two goldfish really should be getting a 50-75% once a week rather than once or twice a month. While this may not be a problem now, it will likely be in the future.

amzhydro

Registered Member
Jun 9, 2017
Welcome to AC!

It doesn't look like anything of concern to me. However, I am concerned with the size of your tank and your cleaning schedule for such large fish. Have you ever checked the nitrates? A tank that size with two goldfish really should be getting a 50-75% once a week rather than once or twice a month. While this may not be a problem now, it will likely be in the future.
They grow so fast!! I actually just got them this tank probably 6 months ago and they already need a new one. I'm moving soon though so I can't get them a bigger one for a bit. Yeah I've checked the nitrates, they can run a bit higher than they should at times but overall things are where they should be. I'll definitely increase the water change frequency. Thanks for your advice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store