High nitrates?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
as i mentioned, gunk in the filter and gunk in the gravel will lend to high nitrates. water changes without a gravel vacuuming in a high nitrate tank will not do a whole lot to help the nitrate issue because the gunk is still there, breaking down and causing more nitrates. a gunky filter will act the same, the gunk continuously breaking down and adding to those nitrates.

i would not suggest a deep gravel vacuuming and a filter cleaning in the same day though, because that does increase your chances of removing too much beneficial bacteria and possibly causing your tank to go into a mini cycle.

50% water change is not huge. i've done three in one day of 50% on a 55 gallon. sure wished i had a python that day! lol!

look at it this way - a 30% water change will only remove 30% of the nitrates. so if your test result says 80 ppm before the water change, you will only be removing 24 ppm nitrates. that's 30% of the total 80 ppm, leaving you with 56 ppm, which still looks like 80 ppm on the card due to the closeness of the shades of red on the card. pretty hard to determine if any nitrates have been removed in this instance, eh?

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
I did a 1/3 water change and it didn't change anything...
check your tap water for nitrates.
i do agree with the others that you need to do a big w/c after a cycle. i used the above quote as a possible indicator, however.

i would do a huge w/c (~90% - 100%) and test again. if you find your nitrates are still very high, i would definitely test your tap water.

the reason i suggested testing your tap water: EPA standards for tap water limit total nitrogen to 10ppm because above that increases infant death rates due to nitrogen poisoning and related issues. 10ppm aqueous nitrogen works out to ~40ppm nitrates. so that level could easily be coming from your tap. i don't know off hand what cali tap water is like, but you mentioned 40-160ppm being close enough to be difficult to discern.

bottom line: although i think it's unlikely, you may just have to live with 40ppm straight from your tap and work around that.

EDIT: going off of BFM's math... if you're replacing it with 40ppm tap water, you'd split the difference and wind up with 68ppm.

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
I've been wondering how to go about "gravel vacing" my tank since I have two plants in there that are planted and the roots extend through the tank (and this is before they started settling in and growing roots longer) and I really don't want to disturb them.
And you're saying I should get all the plant matter out of there? I was positive my amano shrimp would enjoy munching on it...
I'm trying to take it easy on this tank since, as I said earlier, it literally JUST finished cycling Monday, so I don't want to do too thorough of a cleaning, I'm scared that since it's newly cycled the beneficial bacteria would be easy to accidentally remove too much. Am I wrong? So I should take the pre-filter sponge off and clean it? Because I was using that as my main bacteria thing (although it more specifically is for when I get my CRS and they start to breed so the babies don't get sucked through).

Such basic things, I've cycled 3 tanks successfully before... I feel like a n00b :( kinda embarrassing.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
that's good... and about what i'd figured. better to be safe than sorry, though i suppose.

yes... any decaying matter (flora or fauna) will add to your results and stifle your progress of a healthy system.

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
Yea, got me scared there for a minute. Gov't some some messed up things... but that's a whole 'nother topic.

I understand that the plant matter will add to "unhealthy" water, but I'm wondering if amano shrimp will eat it. Just because I thought they did, and if not I have to get some food in there for them to eat (and remove the leaves)!

Minor correction- it finished cycling on Wednesday, not Monday...

Last edited:

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
Ok did an 80% water change and nitrates are down to 10ppm. Thanks for the advice... sorry it took so long to figure out such a simple fix :eek:

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
Ok did an 80% water change and nitrates are down to 10ppm. Thanks for the advice... sorry it took so long to figure out such a simple fix :eek:
Thats good. I would test again for nitrates in a couple days to see where you stand.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store