High PH in new tank, due to sand?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bearskookum

AC Members
Jan 18, 2007
I just set up a new tank last night and today checked the PH it was 8.2! Most of my tanks are all 7.0 PH.
The only thing different is that I am using Quickrete's Pool Filter Sand...is this whats making my PH high? Or is it because its a new tank? I have two feeder guppies in there now making rounds...

bearskookum

AC Members
Jan 18, 2007
Test kit

API freshwater master test kit is the one I am using...at first I used their regular PH test...then I noticed it so high so I went on to do the high range pH and it was 8.2...my other tanks all are 7.0...will wait a few days and see if any changes...if not it must be the new tank and sand...by the way are high ph good for shrimp? what other fishes like high ph?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
What is the pH on your tap water?

bearskookum

AC Members
Jan 18, 2007
Good question

I just checked and my tap water pH is 8.8. I just tested the new tank again and it went down to 7.6...my other tank is 7.2...so hopefully it will drop a little more...

bearskookum

AC Members
Jan 18, 2007
Gas out

Hey Mgamer20o0 thanks for writing back...can you elaborate more on this:
"water gas out"
Does letting the water sit a while changes the pH? How long?

bearskookum

AC Members
Jan 18, 2007
Wood

just one two small pieces of driftwood in the 5 gal...which now I moved one over to the new tank to help it cycle faster...the drift wood is only like 8inches long by 1.5inches thick...basically a piece of branch like shape...
Does driftwood buffer the water? makes it more acidic? like the tannins?

garbon2535

AC Members
Nov 10, 2006
The sand could be raising the PH in your tank.

You said that you have other tanks with normal PH? What is the PH of your water before you put it in the tank? Do you add anything to the water? What type of fish are in this tank? Some fish benifit from higher PH levels. You might not have anything to worry about.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store