Hikari algae wafers and sinking wafers

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

phaedraeos

AC Members
Nov 30, 2006
Boston, MA
Has anyone had a problem with either of these clouding aquarium water? I did a 50% water change as normal on Sunday, dropped a few of each in at lights out, and on Monday morning the water was SUPER cloudy. Dropped in a few more of each last night, and the tank is worse today. All my parameters are fine, and nothing else has changed. This was the 35g hex in my sig.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I've used them quite a bit without any problems. Did you do anything with the filter when you did the water change? Forget to add dechlor or something?

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
I've used the Hikari wafers and sinking food for years and I haven't noticed any clouding either.....

phaedraeos

AC Members
Nov 30, 2006
Boston, MA
4 algae, 6-8 sinking, and they're for the fish in my sig in the 35g hex. Mainly for the mollies, corys, and pleco. And at night.

Hound

AC Members
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
Well, I have a group of 7 cories that I give one hikari sinking wafer per day or one half of a hikari algae wafer. Somedays the 3 ottos I have come out to share with them. 4 of the cories are at least 4 years old atm. I only feed durring lights on though.

rodman

Registered Member
Feb 5, 2007
Hamilton, OH
This sounds like a massive amount of food for your tank. I usually give a few sinking shrimp pellets to cories if I think they aren't scavaging enough, and one sinking wafer every now and then as a treat for plecos... I used to put a few a night in for my plecos and my water was cloudy too. If you don't think your pleco is eating, I know of a simple test... is there ever a GIGANTIC string of excrement hanging off the little dude's underside? My plecos, with age, usually start eating my cichlid's floating pellets off the sides of the tank (they swim up, suck onto one, and drag it down, you can see the pellet as it is devoured pressed against the glass). I stopped owning cories when I stopped owning fish that didn't eat them, but I thought they stayed pretty plump off a little extra sinking food here and there, and as every pleco I've owned has gotten bigger, they get real smart about eating (try a vacation feeder block with a group of small guys, they are voracious).

P00rColl3geBoi

AC Members
Nov 8, 2006
That does sound like a lot of food. I have two mystery snails and three angels that eat my Hikari algea wafers...I only put in like half per night, then break those into smaller pieces and throw them all over the tank, so there's no fighting over the food. My three angel fish loves the algea wafers for some reason and so do my snails. So yeah...I just put in half an algea wafer every night and my water is so clear that the glass doesn't even seem to be there.

pleco4030

AC Members
Mar 9, 2006
Milwaukee/Wisconsin
i also only put in half a waffer a night with the flake food mix i made for my fish.... i think your over feeding them, how big is the pleco? if its small maybe you should even just feed the fish 1/4 a waffer a night

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store