Hmmmm...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Misled_Youth

AC Members
Dec 12, 2011
Deerfield, IL
So among other fish in my 29 G, i have 4 tetras, 2 bleeding hearts and 2 lemons. Now i was thinking of adding a few platys to really add a flash of colors but now i'm having second thoughts and would want to add more tetras. Not too sure what kind to get so open to suggestions about tetras or other fish that would get along and add that flair i'm looking for

Current stock in the 29:
1 Albino Pleco
5 Spotted Hifin Pleco Fry (Just keeping them in there temporarily, until they grow a bit. almost 1" now)
2 Golden Algae Eaters
4 Tetras *Listed Above
1 Betta
1 Gold Gourami
1 Dwarf Gourami
and 1 Leopard Cory
.....Now that i think about i was thinking of adding more cories too. Suggestions would be appreciated :D

Thanks in advance all

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
Well, if it were me, I would add about 8 neons and 4 or 5 more corys. i would also look to rehome the "golden algae eaters", if they are not true Siamese algae eaters, as they will get more aggressive as they get bigger. Just my .02 cents worth. Good luck.

Misled_Youth

AC Members
Dec 12, 2011
Deerfield, IL
why thank you :D I'll look into em

oh and just wanted to throw in there that the tank is running with a Penguin 300 filter

Misled_Youth

AC Members
Dec 12, 2011
Deerfield, IL
They've been in the same tank since August of last year :)

and about the pleco i'm not exactly sure...
somewhat has the skin pattern of a rubber-lip pleco though

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Link doesnt work.

If the golden algae eaters are chinese algae eaters you need to find new homes for them asap. Golden chinese algae eaters are monsters. There are numerous reports of them eating holes in fish (especially flat sided fish like angels and gouramis) and ignoring algae. They also get bigger than I would be comfortable in a 29, 6+ inches. Here's a good website on them http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Oddball,%20Chinese%20Algae%20Eater.htm

I agree with vanillarum about adding more cories. They like to be in groups, so your one lonely guy would probably be happier with some buddies. I would also bump up your tetra schools. They are most comfortable and will display the best natural behaviors and coloring when kept in groups of 6+, though 8+ is better. If you want some flashy color, livebearers are a good bet. Electric blue rams are VERY pretty and stay pretty small so you could probably stick a pair in there.

pisces70

AC Members
Feb 18, 2012
Just be aware that if you add livebearers you will be adding fry as well. Livebearers are very prolific at reproducing. They are typically fertilized before you ever purchase them and they will produce lots of fry, over and over again. If the fry doesn't get eaten, you are saddled with finding new homes for them.

I agree with adding at least 4 more of the lemons and 4 more bleeding hearts as well as 5 corydoras. Six or more of their own kind helps to keep these shoaling fish calm.

I also totally agree with rehoming the Chinese algae eaters. Once they get larger they tend to stop feeding on algae and they can get aggressive towards other fish. I've had one before...never again.
The Albino Pleco may need a new home as well since many species of Plecos tend to get too large for your size of tank. Without knowing the actual species it's hard to say.

If you rehomed the above mentioned fish and still wanted to add some color, you could add a shoal of any of the following small fish. Cardinal tetras, black neons, silver tip tetras, white clouds, gold barbs or cherry barbs.
I like the rams idea, too!

Misled_Youth

AC Members
Dec 12, 2011
Deerfield, IL
thanks for all the info everybody. i've definately got some food for thought now.
i've got a 45 gallon i can transfer the algae eaters into so i'll get right on that. oh and thank you for the link vwill!

Misled_Youth

AC Members
Dec 12, 2011
Deerfield, IL
so i transfered the algae eaters into the 45. doing pretty well but when the SAEs that were in there before catch sight of them, it's an epic game of tag hahah

Just added 8 neon tetras and 4 emerald cory cats into the 29. seem to be doing very well and after i added them i fed the tank bloodworms and the little guys can't fit a whole worm in their mouth so they're swimming around with a worm hanging that's even bigger than them hahahah

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store