Home Depot fluorescent light

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
What kind of fixture do you have? One of those was a T8, the other was a T12....one was 18" long, the other 24"....

kenshinH

AC Members
May 30, 2013
inside a cave

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
Your best bet is to get a replacement bulb around the daylight spectrum (6500kish), although just replacing the bulb can only do so much. If you really want to kick things up you should look into buying a new fixture for the tank. A 55g tank can be well lit by a cheap 2x54w t5ho setup, these can be had on ebay for ~$60 shipped.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Thanks for the quick reply Rbishop, i am the standard hood fixture from a 55gal tank(18" bulb) the bulb im using right now is zoo med reef sun 50/50.
Im not sure if the the bulb that im using will help my plant grow.

light fixture:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11252590&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No
I thought a 55g used twin 24" hoods? Are they really only 18" lamps in them?

Those wouldn't sustain plants at all.

Like said, a 48" twin-tube T5HO with 6500K lamps included can be had for $60, but you'll need another ~$40 worth of glass versa-tops, or DIY tank cover of your choice to put between the water and the light fixture.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Right on.

Any of the T5 HO's I've seen have a fancy reflector that would be useless if it gets moist and crusty. These fixtures also get rather hot and could do bad things when wet.

You could keep the tank top wide open if you want, but I'd keep something between the water and a T5 or high dollar LED fixture for sure.

shloken38

AC Members
Apr 24, 2012
If you get a light with legs and have it a few inches from the top of the water, you should be ok. It should also have a splash guard below the bulbs. If you have the light right above the water, you will suffer what everyone is mentioning here.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yep, even my cheap Odyssea 48" T5HO has a clear plastic cover that slides into the fixture. Problem is, the fixture housing sits right on the top edge of the tank, making the feet pretty useless, aside from a safety catch should the unit shift a bit.

If it sat on it's feet another inch or two up, I'd have no problem going topless. Referring to the light that is.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store