Honey Sunset Gourami from Petsmart?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Windy

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Theed Palace on Naboo
Real Name
Lazaro
Petsmart and Petco are a mess when it comes to naming fish species. sometimes I wonder where they get some of these names from. I have seen Dalmatian Platies under the name MEASELED Platies. WTH is a Measeled platy?

spartanalia

AC Members
Apr 12, 2010
PLEASE DON'T BUY FISH FROM PETCO OR PETSMART!

That is how I lost my little betta. He was fine until I bought some ghost shrimp for his tank from Petco. Shortly after I put the shrimp in he contracted velvet. When I went back to the store a week later THREE OF THE TANKS (including the ghost shrimp's) were empty and being cleaned out... yeah it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that an epidemic swept through their tanks and into mine.

Your fish deserve more from you than to put them at risk of contracting a disease. I learned this the hard way and didn't listen to people on the board...

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
I've yet to see a pet shop that can guarantee you healthy, disease-free fish. They all use a mass filtering system that circulates the water from every tank into one giant pool of questionable purity. They tend to constantly dose said pool with various medications to keep disease at a minimum. The result is that any sick fish will transmit it to every fish, at least potentially, and that every fish is always medicated, so you have a more fragile fish when you bring it home.

Some stores may avoid the constant medication, but many use this practice to help protect their stock at least a little. Of course, it has many drawbacks.

I've had a similar experience with a new fish causing deaths in my old fish. However, to use your rocket science quote, it doesn't take rocket science to know the only safe way to buy new fish is to use a quarantine tank.

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
I just bought honey gouramies from Petland Discounts a few days ago. I don't buy from petsmart or petco because have heard their tanks are all connected to one system not good. 4 of them they are cute they are shy and timid and have been hovering near the bottom at times they are small. I have pearl and gold gouramies that are much larger and a male dwarf gouramie in my main tank. Good luck with yours mine are currently in QT with an albino cory I bought to replace a sick one that died :(.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I'm hoping to add a honey gourami to me 10 gallon planted tank in the near future. Does anyone have a honey sunset gourami from Petsmart? Does anyone know if they are actually honey gouramis or are they thick lipped gouramis? Obviously think lipped would end up being too big for my tank. Is there any way to tell the difference between the two while they aren't full grown?
Just bought a pair today!!!!! Gorgeous lil guys!!! And I think you can only tell when they are fully grown, as the females will be larger than the males.
(or vice verca)

MidnightSkies

AC Members
Feb 2, 2009
This morning I noticed my gourami not well again. He seemed near death again, keeping real still, not eating, eventually flopping over/upside down/etc. and not able to upright himself. This is the second time this has happened, and for no apparent reason. Last time it was right after a water change and I thought I may have put my tank through a mini-cycle. With this happening again I'm thinking otherwise. All other fish are and have been completely healthy. I did a little research and I'm beginning to think that the charcoal coloring he has could be cancer. I'm hoping he can pull through again as he is my favorite fish in that tank. It took him about 2-3 days of being in a small net propped up on the hood so that he can reach the surface without swimming before he was healthy enough to be let free again. I'm hoping he pulls through this time as well.

Maybe honey gouramis aren't as healthy as I thought they were. I was hoping to avoid health problems by avoiding dwarf gouramis. Has anyone else come across any health problems with these guys?

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
I think Petsmart has quality issues with their honey and dwarf gouramis. I've always heard honeys were healthy, but each of my two honey's from petsmart died with the exact same symptoms the dwarf gourami I bought from them had (this was two years earlier).

I think it's their supplier.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store