Horned angelfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
actually you shouldn't breed this fishs. I have one that is missing ventral fins and has a missing upper lip he eats well and has been active for 4 years but he'll never breed.
this one either has a genetic deformity or was injured very young.
I would not encourage breeding if it is a deformity
encouraging and breeding mutant animals is what we humans have done since we started domesticating animals. I agree that if you find out it's a genetic deformity that harms the fish, then it shouldn't be encouraged. But until then, i say breed it, line breed it, and hope for more.

realistically, it will probably be a bust... for starters, it may not even be genetic... but it'll be fun trying!

Himekp

AC Members
Sep 17, 2012
Chicago
actually you shouldn't breed this fishs. I have one that is missing ventral fins and has a missing upper lip he eats well and has been active for 4 years but he'll never breed.
this one either has a genetic deformity or was injured very young.
I would not encourage breeding if it is a deformity
That's what I originally thought. I will only raise a very small amount of fry if I do. And then only give them to anyone else if I get very favorable results. I think it will be interesting, but most likely will not work. Plus, he has to pair up before any of this even has a chance of happenening.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
glabe I think we should agree to disagree ..while we may breed fish to enhance certain traits we often strive to enhance color, fins etc..
but generally we don't try to enhance deformities like this(if it is genetic).
I suspect enthusiast would prefer to keep the body shape in a 'standard' of which this one could be considered an undesirable shape.
if breeding were to occur there is chance that this shape could be carried on to other lines which is why I don't encourage this.. as mentioned most if not all angel breeders would have culled this fish.
I do realize that some may consider this unusual shape entertaining..but am pretty sure you won't find many angel breeders in this group.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
i agree. yours is definitely the more respectable point of view. in this case, I'm just driven by man's urge to tamper with mother nature. in the case of my favorite fish, i always get a little upset when i see the "electric green" variety...

Fractalis

Heavy Weapons Guy
Mar 3, 2011
with continued breeding a fish species could reach the point where it is in the same plight as the english bulldog
Inability to breed is what happens to most linebred oddities

but a simple change in form such as this affects breeding in the same way long tails affect bettas or fancy guppies

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Agrees with Star 110%. While it may be interesting to keep a deformed fish, it is not a good idea to spawn them.

chickenlady

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
I would think that it would depend on the kind of deformity, as to whether or not it should be bred. Balloon Mollys, for instance, are a deformed fish that has taken off, and seems to do well.
Just because a fish has a deformity, does not mean it cannot live a meaningful life. If people may be interested in in having one like it, breed it and see what happens.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Wait a minute, folks.

Orandas, lionheads, black moors, long-finned livebearers (including male guppies), long-finned danios, long-finned plecos, and ANY color variety in ANY species that has been line-bred from the wild phenotype (including albinos) are all examples of deleterious mutations that would decrease the liklihood of the relevant species surviving in the wild. Betta splendens is the epitome of a fish in which mutations that would be deleterious in the wild are refined and selected for in captivity. Electric blue jack dempseys have a horrible survival rate among fry. With or without the horn, the angelfish in question wouldn't likely have survived long in the wild simply because of the lack of natural coloration. We aren't talking about a nearly extinct species in which genetic integrity needs to be maintained for preservation; this is a line-bred, tank-raised fish that is likely as far from it's ancestral phenotype and genotype as a chihuahua is from a wolf.

If I'm gonna condemn breeding to fix a mutation in fish, then I should apply the same logic to dogs. Pomeranians, greyhounds, dachsunds, bassets, etc., etc., etc. would have short lives in the wild. How 'bout parakeets? Horses? Shrimp? Cattle? Assumin' this is a mutation and not due to an injury, it appears the mutation is less harmful than the aforementioned varieties of "balloon" fish that keep croppin' up, which can cause major internal deformities and a shortened lifespan. I doubt that there is a person who's posted that has not kept one of the varieties of fish I've mentioned or at least one example of any of the other animals I mentioned and never had a single qualm about it. Even if the only benefit a human receives from the mutation is visual pleasure, there is no ethical reason NOT to attempt to fix the mutation as long as the resulting fish suffers no harm from the process.

WYite

nc0gnet0

Discus Breeder
Oct 31, 2009
Grand Rapids
Real Name
Rick
Well, I can say with 100% certainty that this is not a genetic deformity. I agree with Star, the fish should have been culled. But to each thier own. I seldom post about issues with Angel fish breeding as I am a discus breeder and have not ventured into breeding angels, but thier does exist some common ground between the two.

First of all this condition was caused at a very young age, probably within a week of hatching and most likely within a day or two. It was caused by a bacterial/protozoan infection that actually ate in to the soft tissue and retarded the developement of the hard rays and front dorsal area. It is an issue that mainly arrises with fish that lay eggs on a slate/cone and have a wiggler stage. I have seen plenty of pictures of discus with the same issue.

When you begin to look at the fish as not an interesting mutant, but rather a fish that has been scarred for life, it begins to loose some of its percieved beauty. It can however be used to breed if the OP chooses too, but be aware that this is not a genetic issue and the fish will have normal looking offspring.

Rick

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store