Houston, we have snails...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GuppyGirl1230

Snails, Guppies and Corys, OH MY!!!
Jul 14, 2010
Westminster, Colorado
Real Name
Maribeth
If they're blue and kind of bubbly I'd poke one. They get mushy when they're ready - the babies chew their way out. If the clutch is mushy, I'd break it open... you can swish the clutch in the water to loosen the babies. They're pretty sturdy, just keep swishing & prodding to find them all.

I think it's easier if the clutches are left on the vertical surfaces, as gravity helps them get into the water...
Thank you fishy my girl!! I had them floating on the water, but it was too hazardous, so I have them on damp paper towel in a tupperware container sitting on the tank. I will def swish and prod!! Thanks so much!!

Maribeth

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
does this mean we are related now?....... congrats,.. and the spotted ones usually are striped,.. but they like to fool you ,lol

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
does this mean we are related now?....... congrats,.. and the spotted ones usually are striped,.. but they like to fool you ,lol
:rofl: We're snail-in-laws! :laugh: Do the solid color/transparent ones develop stripes? Lots of pink & yellow with no spots... even that one blue-ish with no spots. I do see what looks like olives w/spots, tho.

GuppyGirl1230

Snails, Guppies and Corys, OH MY!!!
Jul 14, 2010
Westminster, Colorado
Real Name
Maribeth
If Dixie and Fishy are snail-in-laws, than Dixie and I are snail-in-laws, and fishy and I are snail-in-laws once removed :) LOL

I just hatched my first clutch, put them in the breeding net and put a little bit of snello in and man, they ate that right up!! I didn't know how tiny they would be--SUPER TINY!!! I mean, holy cow tiny. I am very protective of them and am excited to see what colors I will get!! YAY FOR SNAIL BABIES!!!

BTW, one of the snails I have isn't growing very fast and has a crack and small hole in his shell that has been there since forever. It is on the top of his shell, and the new shell growth is totally fine. Is there any way to repair it, or create a cast or something to repair it? I don't want to lose him!! But he is eating, cruising and riding around on the girls so I don't think it bothers him. If anyone knows how to fix it, I would be very grateful!! And yes, I feed calcium rich snello every day and he eats like crazy!! Thanks guys!!!

Maribeth

Ps~ What kind of calcium pills do you add fishy? I think the cuttle bone may not be getting as much calcium to them as possible. Thanks!!!

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
If Dixie and Fishy are snail-in-laws, than Dixie and I are snail-in-laws, and fishy and I are snail-in-laws once removed :) LOL

I just hatched my first clutch, put them in the breeding net and put a little bit of snello in and man, they ate that right up!! I didn't know how tiny they would be--SUPER TINY!!! I mean, holy cow tiny. I am very protective of them and am excited to see what colors I will get!! YAY FOR SNAIL BABIES!!!

BTW, one of the snails I have isn't growing very fast and has a crack and small hole in his shell that has been there since forever. It is on the top of his shell, and the new shell growth is totally fine. Is there any way to repair it, or create a cast or something to repair it? I don't want to lose him!! But he is eating, cruising and riding around on the girls so I don't think it bothers him. If anyone knows how to fix it, I would be very grateful!! And yes, I feed calcium rich snello every day and he eats like crazy!! Thanks guys!!!

Maribeth

Ps~ What kind of calcium pills do you add fishy? I think the cuttle bone may not be getting as much calcium to them as possible. Thanks!!!
GG, we were cory cousins before we were snail-in-laws. :D

CONGRATS on the babies!!! Yep they're like seed beads, super tiny. I started freezing canned green beans (individually frozen on foil & then bagged) and just tried fresh frozen/thawed 1/4" zucchini yesterday - the zuke is awesome because I've had it in the tank for 24 hours & no stink! Anyways, brigg babies love veggies, too. The snello vanishes in no time, takes them a bit to finish the veg. I just use generic calcium citrate pills - I've cut back on adding pills to the tank, they really should be getting lots of calcium from the veg & snello... Dissolving calcium can fly up into the water, which kind of messes with water clarity a bit. Part of why I'm cutting back.

Oh, I shared some links on someone else's thread about patching shell with epoxy or clean egg shell - you can google it! Is anything hanging out or you can just see flesh inside?

I've been debating getting cuttlebone so I can leave a piece in the tank as a constant source versus dosing pills. But I've seen comments re: cuttlebone rotting??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store